APC Forum

Grinding Media?

zenen1

Hi all, I im going to purchase some grinding media for my ball mill. I have found an add on ebay that is selling:

8 oz Chrome steel shot Grinding Media 1/4"

Is this a suitable grind media that will not create sparks? therefore limiting the chance of accidental ignition? if this is not suitable is there a better place to order a better media at a better price?

many thanks

Hi all, I im going to purchase some grinding media for my ball mill. I have found an add on ebay that is selling:

8 oz Chrome steel shot Grinding Media 1/4"

Is this a suitable grind media that will not create sparks? therefore limiting the chance of accidental ignition? if this is not suitable is there a better place to order a better media at a better price?

many thanks

No, while it shouldn't be spark procing Is it plated or solid crome steel?

1/4" is too small/light

8oz won't get you started, even the 3lb Harbor Freight mill would require at least 2-2.5lb of those

Thanks for the reply, i have seen ads for stainless steel media and ceramic media. Which would be a more suitable media? ceramic or stainless steel

Lead is another option and is easily found as 50 caliber balls for muzzle loaders at a gun shop. Just be careful not to burn out your mill motor as they are heavy. The downside being the fact that lead is poisonous and your comps will be contaminated with it. I've seen hardened versions of these on online pyro supply sites. I suspect they are case hardened though, which only hardens a thin outer layer and once this is worn away they will wear faster.

Thanks for the reply, i have seen ads for stainless steel media and ceramic media. Which would be a more suitable media? ceramic or stainless steel

Stainless is preferable to the regular white alumina ceramic due to its density. If you can find some of the "Zirconia M" media that Oldguy and others use, it is wonderful.

• 1 year later...

I've been using Quarters and Nickels for quite a while with a couple (perhaps 10) small steel balls from a magnetic toy kit I had. This isn't an ideal situation by any means and I only used the coinage for milling media as it was suggested by Harry at Skylighter who said its a suitable replacement for more expensive media. I've recently come into possession of some ceramic media:

http://www.pyrocreations.com/inc/sdetail/11955/49189

I was wondering if I should use this media alone or whether to mix it with some metal media, perhaps the steel balls or even the coins. Does anyone know if the medias are compatible and if its more efficient in that way?

Keep like media in the mill jar. Mixing will cause probs. The efficiency will go way down. Coins plain suck as grinding media. Ceramic is a good milling material alone. Mixing steel will cause chipping on the ceramic and will ruin it much faster. Edited by pyrojig

I am much happier since i went from lead to ceramic.

Hardened lead will do a slightky better(quicker) job on BP but my back loves ceramic

36lb of medium is rough on arthritic joints

Algenco,

You just need to make more batches of BP so you are getting more exercize to stay in shape.

More black powder means more fireworks, means more fun, means staying young! :-)

The lead sure can get heavy depending on the size of your mill jars.

Will your jars last longer with the ceramic media?

I believe they will last longer, replacing one isn't a problem, but cortisone injections, RFL treatment of nerves in the lower back is.

If I made a seperator that I could dump the jars into in one operation it might be easier with lead.

Ceramic works fine, time is not an issue, on a good day I can make 20lb BP :)

Yes, like allready posted hundred times. They can spark.

Everythink you can really read about is:

Lead (Lead is hardened by mixing in Antimony)

Zirconia

Ceramics (Alumina based)

Brass

• 3 weeks later...
try www.unitednuclear.com/ great prices on there ceramic grinding media