APC Forum

Leftover shell stars as comets?

echostorm

I have a ton of stars from a damaged boomer artillery shell case. they were all color peonys, and I was able to seperate them into their respective colors. I was wondering if anyone had tried using them as comets or anything. I have a bunch of 3/4in id assorted effects that I launch out of a 1 inch tube, and i was thinking of breaking down the stars and making a slurry to put about 1/2in deep into the ends for a comet effect. please advise on how this is a great idea or the sheer stupidity of it (couldn't find anything from searching various places)

I dont personally think it would be a problem, but i'd feel better if i knew someone had tried it before successfully.

Edited by echostorm

Did you already separate them from the burst? Id be careful with those particular shells. I would use the stars as is and make new shells or mines out of them.

mines are totally an option. nost are separated from the burst currently, I went ahead and just put the case in storage until I got some responses. Edited by echostorm

It's possible that you could do something like this, but you could have some difficulties.

You don't know what's in them, so you can't be sure it's safe to mechanically reduce them. The safer choice is to soak them is water, or what ever solvent was used to make them, to let them soak it up, but it would be VERY easy to add too much.

Furthermore, they'll be coated in a prime that will now be mixed with the effect mix, and this will have some effect, possibly ruining some effects.

Overall I suggest that it might be easier to make the comet from scratch, as well as safer.

Lots of Chinese stars are made with a resin as binder/fuel so they would not break up and then re-stick as dextrin/SGRS stars would. Don't try to break the stars, try to use them as stars a they are. plus there is no knowing that the different stars would form a compatible mixed product.