APC Forum

Strontium Sulfate

moondogman

I read that I can use Potassium Sulphate and Sr Nitrate? I have these. now what do I need to do to make Sr sulfate? Dissolve both in water and filter then combine and the sulphate should precipitate out? Warm Water? Hot Water??

Any help appreciated.

Steve

Simply prepare concentrated solutions of K2SO4 and Sr(NO3)2. When mixing them together, the SrSO4 will precipitate immediately. Then you must filter the water and wash it a few time to get rid of the resultant KNO3.

Edit: Sometimes I'm so unattentive.. :lol:

K2SO4 + Sr(NO3)2 -> 2KNO3 + SrSO4

x1 + x2 -> y1 + y2

x1 = 174g/mol

x2 = 211

y1 = 101(*2)

y2 = 183

By knowing the molecular masses, calculate how much K2SO4 and Sr(NO3)2 you will need. For example, if you have to make 100g of SrSO4:

x1' = (y2'/y2) * x1 = (100/183) * 174 = 95g K2SO4

x2' = (y2'/y2) * x2 = (100/183* 211 = 115,3 g Sr(NO3)2

So let's assume you want to make 100g of SrSO4. You take these 95g of K2SO4 and 115,3g of Sr(NO3)2, but them in separate containers and add just enough water to dissolve them. Use a solubility table. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table

Althought I've experimentaly found that the solubility for strontium nitrate is false, the guy posted it has to be raped and shot :glare: . Sr(NO3)2 solubility seems to change very little with temperature variation.

Even if you don't make conc. solutions, SrSO4 is insoluble, you almost don't waste anything.

I wouldn't heat up anything, I would just prepare solutions at room temperature and mix them together. Just do the math as I instructed. You could also use the resultant KNO3 than throwing it away, especially if you are going to do large amounts of SrSO4 :P

Edited by 50AE

Damn I should of listened in math class!! Thanks for the help.

Steve

Althought I've experimentaly found that the solubility for strontium nitrate is false, the guy posted it has to be raped and shot :glare: . Sr(NO3)2 solubility seems to change very little with temperature variation.

From reading and grading lab reports, I sometimes wish the same fate on people using wikipedia as a viable resource.

You'd want to look it up, but strontium and barium nitrates might be some of the tricky ones for solubility. There are certain compounds where it's the hydrate that is actually the highly soluble species, and it takes time to convert.

Alrighty then I made a "200gm" batch....I bet I have about 100 grams left maybe?? its still drying. How the crap are you supposed to filter yogurt?? Because that is about what I ended up with. I filtered it and rinsed it and it settled well in the water but the first filtering was a royal pain!! I should have just ordered some!! but I had to try it.

Thanks Steve

Edited by moondogman

I read that I can use Potassium Sulphate and Sr Nitrate? I have these. now what do I need to do to make Sr sulfate? Dissolve both in water and filter then combine and the sulphate should precipitate out? Warm Water? Hot Water??

Any help appreciated.

Steve

Would it be cheaper to use Magnesium Sulfate, aka Epsom salt, to provide the sulfate ions?

You could just use strontium carbonate and a CLEAN sulfuric acid. Use an excess of carbonate and you won't end up with an acidic strontium sulfate.

Depending on where you get it from, potassium sulfate is about the cheapest non-sodium source you can get. Magnesium sulfate would work, but you'd make magnesium nitrate in the process. That is one of the most hygroscopic things you may ever experience. I'd be worried about getting it all out. Given that strontium sulfate is primarily used to make AP strobes, it would be important to get as much nitrate out as possible.

Filtering these things can be a bit tricky. A lot of the time unless you have a vacuum filtration apparatus, you just have to let it sit, settle, and go through at it's natural snails pace. One of the tricks is to boil the solution briefly. This can help to create bigger particles.