APC Forum

Ball Mill using tires as jars?

FrankRizzo

Hard Rock Quarry - B1A1 Rock Tumbler

What a great idea. :) This could be scaled down using go-kart tires. Non-sparking stainless fasteners would need to be substituted, but used tires are in plentiful supply and would eliminate the issues many people have with finding large diameter PVC pipe.

post-52-0-37939900-1314660072_thumb.jpg

post-52-0-45645000-1314660082_thumb.jpg

post-52-0-78309700-1314660087_thumb.jpg

post-52-0-70617200-1314660100_thumb.jpg

post-52-0-73649100-1314660106_thumb.jpg

post-52-0-11598700-1314660137_thumb.jpg

Video from the author's page (linked above):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwafR8semn0

Edited by FrankRizzo

That's pretty neat Frank, would have never thought of using a tire as a ball mill jar. What would you use as media? It seems like it could possibly double as a tire star roller too. Thanks for sharing.

That's pretty neat Frank, would have never thought of using a tire as a ball mill jar. What would you use as media? It seems like it could possibly double as a tire star roller too. Thanks for sharing.

For a tire as large as the author of that page is using, I think ceramic would be best. The increased diameter would give better milling action, and you wouldn't need the density of stainless steel or lead. You could use the heavier media but I think handling the loaded jar would be come an issue due to the weight. For something as small as a go kart or lawnmower tire, any type of media you'd use in a PVC-pipe style mill jar would work fine.

The wires shouldn`t be an issue if the tyre is in good condition. The media could be expensive and seriously heavy, i reckon you`d need at least 400lbs of lead to half fill a 265 / 70-R17 tyre ;)

Its the perfect tool if you need 22lbs of bp per mill run :)

I don`t think you`d get a choice with bigger tire sizes but most people wouldnt need a mill jar that size anyway.

Mower and kart tires have nylon plys with some steel cords encapsulated in the bead so they should be safer A slick would provide nice traction on the rollers but i`m not sure how well a tire half full of media will retain its shape without the support of the rim and air pressure. I guess there`s only one way to find out :)

Standard kart tires appear to be 10" - 11" OD, i guess they may hold a gallon or two.

gallery_10713_78_68388.jpg

If you have a big mill (40 inch rollers).

Hell, heavy duty 16 to 24 gallon plactic drums work GREAT.

Cheap & no modification either.

Mine looks like a bit that dropped off your mill :) Its small but mighty

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx341/colinspyro/ballmillwithtwo1galjars.jpg