APC Forum

Homemade core burner rocket tooling

eggi96

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys this is my new rocket tooling. Hope you enjoy it. Please subscribe to my channel.

I Made A Set Like That Also, But Had A Problem With The Spindle Turning While Removing The Rocket. Curious How You Got The Bolts To Not Spin The Spindle. Did You Notch The Wood Blocks?

Nice stuff Eggi.

I am working on drawings for an aluminum version of that design as well but there are some complications that I am running in to.

-dag

Nice tooling. Did you get this idea from NighthawkinLight?

Cool set eggi, I'd like to see some of your rockets made on it!

I Made A Set Like That Also, But Had A Problem With The Spindle Turning While Removing The Rocket. Curious How You Got The Bolts To Not Spin The Spindle. Did You Notch The Wood Blocks?

If you flare the bottom of the spindle so that the bottom bolt cannot spin off then you can put a wrench on each bolt and spin them opposite directions. That will pull the spindle out of the rocket regardless if it breaks free on the rotational axis or not. Note also that if your rocket is free enough to spin but it will not pop off then your spindle is not tapered enough.

If you flare the bottom of the spindle so that the bottom bolt cannot spin off then you can put a wrench on each bolt and spin them opposite directions. That will pull the spindle out of the rocket regardless if it breaks free on the rotational axis or not. Note also that if your rocket is free enough to spin but it will not pop off then your spindle is not tapered enough.

Great Idea! I Will Try That. Thank You.

Edited by TheArchitect23

Nice tools Eggi,

I like the simple, yet ingenius design for pulling the spindle.

mine uses the threaded rod from an old G-clamp and some steel washers superglued together ;)

Nice stuff Eggi.

I am working on drawings for an aluminum version of that design as well but there are some complications that I am running in to.

-dag

What type of complications are you running into cause we might have the same problem since my rockets don't go straight and go astray it might just be the stick im not sure

What type of complications are you running into cause we might have the same problem since my rockets don't go straight and go astray it might just be the stick im not sure

LOL! No, no problems with flight, I am looking at the UT design and the rockets work well. It is the translation from a block of wood to an all aluminum design that is causing the problems.

-dag

Dag,

Dont know if it`ll help your creative thinking any but mine pulls the whole spindle thru the base. The bottom of the spindles are extra long with a 1" deep threaded hole.

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx341/colinspyro/mesh%20screens/spindleremoval.jpg

That's a cool design col. It looks much easier to make on a lathe than threading the outside of the spindle would be.

Cheers guys, glad it was some help

@ Hawk, I guess it could be made to work with standard spindles if you added a threaded bush to extend base length of the spindle. It would need to be long enough to include enough spare thread for the puller.

@ dag, maybe i shouldn`t have mentioned that last part as the design could make the tooling unique to the base ;)

The base is a recycled alloy bush from an industrial high pressure fan, size is 2.5" od, 1" thick with a 3/4" center hole. There are a couple of setscrews that lock the spindle and prevent it being lifted with the ram.

.http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx341/colinspyro/mesh%20screens/alloyfanbush.jpg

One base will suffice for different spindles as long as they are the same diameter.

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx341/colinspyro/mesh%20screens/spindlebase.jpg

The bottom of the spindles are different to normal ones.

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx341/colinspyro/mesh%20screens/spindlebase-1.jpg

Edited by Col