APC Forum

Ball mill jar?

zenen1

hi, i am in need of a new ball mill jar, does anybody know a place that sells just the jar? i have been looking on site like lorotone but the only sell the whole tumbler

or buy a "Sponenberg" jar from Dag

Yes! I am making a bunch for winter, $40.00 delivered to the lower 48!!!!!

-dag

or what you can do since you just want the jar is just make ur own out of pvc pipe and fittings thats what I did and i works perfectly

or what you can do since you just want the jar is just make ur own out of pvc pipe and fittings thats what I did and i works perfectly

True that! Most people don't want the extra 9' of pipe or are able to cut 6" pipe. I save them the hassle.

-dag

i need a biiiig drum (5 gallon, 12 inch ID) anybody know where to get one of those?

i need a biiiig drum (5 gallon, 12 inch ID) anybody know where to get one of those?

I don't think your bucket is the problem, more like the lid. Perhaps someone here could advise you on how to create a nice sealing lid, maybe made out of flat pvc?

I forget exactly how, but cplmac2 had a video up on pyrobin(wish I saved the link, sorry) where he showed how he fashioned a lid for his 55gallon ball mill. Something along the lines of a former used to form an epoxy seal, reinforced with screws.

yeah personguydude, that's exactly the problem. my last lid leaked, and now my new one doesn't but it's a PITA to get on or off :/ i'll go digging around pyrobin, thanks :)

I knew you would ask that......

I will let you know next week. I hope the materials come in to fab the end pieces. I plan on using a modified design of OG's and go from there. The 6 and 8's I have seal great as I use plumbing test plugs.

Have to update you then.

• 2 weeks later...
Got the end pieces in but life keeps "happening"! Will have to get them cut and routed this weekend. The six and eight inch jars are still doing fine without incident though. Biggest thing is going to get the pieces round. I am using 3/4" material for ends and have no way of keeping it "true". My lathe will only accept 8" material.... Going to have to think on this abit.

Back when I decided I needed a larger mill than a #3 harbor freight. I shopped around like you are doing now. Almost all low to mid range priced mills advertised on-line are for tumbling rocks. I contacted several vendors, asking does this mill have a TEFC (totally enclosed fan cooled) motor. NOT ONE DID.

I also noticed many reviews revealed some manufactured mills had eventual issues with “belts, others had issues with “rollers” & almost all did not have very powerful electric motors. Plus, most will only fit one size jar, as the design did not permit moving the rollers to make them adjustable in width..

I wanted a mill with a beefy TEFC motor. Plus able to run multiples of 8 or 12 inch jars. None out there fit what I wanted. So, I built one to suit. Which took awhile. The cost was under $300. Once done, I could not be happier. Building one yourself gives you a lot of personal satisfaction. Plus, if well designed, built with high quality parts, it will last a lifetime, even with continuous use.

gallery_10713_78_43482.jpg

gallery_10713_78_112586.jpg

gallery_10713_78_339525.jpg

gallery_10713_78_133183.jpg

gallery_10713_78_170312.jpg

gallery_10713_78_334985.jpg

gallery_10713_78_68388.jpg

A bug quote from another thread here

Drums can be all sizes. I like rubber drums for quietness, I like really tiny drums for tiny batches, and I would like a really big drum for charcoal and BP. The smallest batch I've needed was 5gramms! but I knew of a mill capable of making 35 kilos of BP in one batch! -don't try filling that with lead balls!

• 1 month later...

okay, thanks man :)

Used too small of hardware, damn things leaking like a sieve out the end with the hardware. Going to up the size of hardware and find me a gasket. I was milling charcoal down to float and OMG what a mess! 8" pipe working like a charm though.

Edited by guntoteninfadel

awesome, good news gun :) if you get something working let me know, I'd be very interested in purchasing one...

awesome, good news gun :) if you get something working let me know, I'd be very interested in purchasing one...

replacing hardware next weekend, dude these things take a butt load of media btw.