Timed Rain Willow

kno3 22

MgAl 10

Sulfur 15

Cuo oxide 10

charcoal 20

Ti 15

dextrin 8

1. will this actually crackle like a dragon egg or is this just a base mix for like a matrix star?

2. does the cuo oxide used matter, because i have cuo (II) oxide black?

3. im guessing the MgAl should be like 100-200 mesh, right?

4. is it safe to bind with water? yes i know you bind dextrin with water but your can never be too safe.

Thanks, vince

Time rain is just an invented chinese term for crackle matrix comet. I'm going to start with 0

0) That formula is probably fake/wrong

1) See 0. It looks to me as if they possibly just listed all of the component of the mixture, and conveniently forgot about the preparation, if we assume the formula is even right. At many other places in the formulas it lists crackling at 70% CuO and 30% MgAl, or at 34 CuO (~64%) 19 MgAl (~36%). This may be another spot where they "forgot" about any other oxides such as lead or bismuth they may also be using.

I'd look at it more like this:

Base:

KNO3 22

MgAl 6

Sulfur 15

charcoal 20

Ti 15

dextrin 8

Crackle:

CuO - 10

MgAl - 4 (an approximation from the crackle amount)

As is however, the basemix looks like it would barely burn. If you double the KNO3 you get something more in the ball park.

2) Most of the time when something calls for copper oxide, it will be CuO, black copper oxide. Red copper oxide is rare enough it should be specified if needed. you never know with these chinese formulas though.

3) That is something that needs to be dialed in. I had the best success with crackle using mostly -60 mesh, though I've seen people make them with all -200 mesh too. There may very well be a mixture of meshes in there for the crackle or comet, or whatever else.

4) If they're typical matrix comets the crackle is bound with nitrocellulose, and then pressed into the water wet base comet mix. If you'd like to compare, there is a well established mix in Hardt.

It always seems like there is quite a bit more crackling in the comet videos I've seen than there maybe should be. It might just be an illusion. Two ways this could be done would be to make a crackle that pops several times per granule, which is most easily done by using finer MgAl. Another way would be to use a coarser MgAl in the base comet mix. It has a tendency to sort of sizzle on it's own.

ive been toying with c6 and 10-20% 60-300 mesh mgal, crackles/sizzles on its own but you wouldnt hear it past 50 ft some dragons egg would beef it up a bit, or if your interested ill dig out the comp for pop glitter, crackle and glitter all mixed up.

dan.

I think you're underestimating what I meant by coarse. I was thinking more in the 20-30 mesh range. That you can hear from a fairly sizable distance. Even if it's only adding to the background noise, it'd still be filling it out.

ive been toying with c6 and 10-20% 60-300 mesh mgal, crackles/sizzles on its own but you wouldnt hear it past 50 ft some dragons egg would beef it up a bit, or if your interested ill dig out the comp for pop glitter, crackle and glitter all mixed up.

dan.

ya can u give me the comp

dan.

i did not mix up what you said just added my own 2 cents, and had i known that time rain was apparently exclusive to 3" comets wouldnt have mentioned a test comp that you MAY not be able to hear past 5o ft.

and understand that larger chunks of mg/al 10-30 mesh will be considerably louder than 60-300.

sorry for the misunderstanding.

dan.

The comet size really has no impact on how far away you can hear the sound. I'd bet FSOY (flaming shit on you) would also make a decent sound in the air. I didn't mean to come off as condescending if that is what you thought. I was just trying to clarify that when I said coarse MgAl, I meant REALLY coarse.

I use 10-30 mesh MgAl in 3" comets that sizzle loudly at 400'

What is the base comp on those comets?

ya can u give me the comp

hope its ok here, i havn't actually tried this comp [ no stibnite ]

45% kno3

14.3% sulphur

8.8% airfloat charcoal

10.5% antimony trisulfide

14% 200 mesh mg al

4.5% copper oxide

4% dextrin

dan.