APC Forum

Thermite as prime

Adrenaline

I recently came across a few star compositions which where somewhat hard to light.

The prime I use for all my stars is Bp + 7 % MgAl. This prime managed to light all stars like KClO4 or BaNO3 colored stars without problems.

A few days ago i made a batch of silver streamer stars with an high Al content. My Bp/MgAl prime manages to light about 50% of the stars. (Shot out of a star gun)

Since I like a strong burst I am worried whether this prime will be successfull when i load the stars into a 4" ball shell.

As I was looking for hotter primes, red thermite came to my mind. What do you guys think? Would standardt Thermite + 6% Dextrin make a useable prime? My concerns are that the thermite burns too slow and the stars will have a large delay.

Another prime compositon I found is Skylighters Hot Igniter Star Prime:

Potassium perchlorate 71%

Charcoal, airfloat 14%

Red gum 9%

Magnalium 6%

Do you think this prime is hot enough to light BJVs silver stars?

KNO3 45

Dark Alum 30

Atomized Alum 200mesh 10

Sulphur 10

Meal Powder 5

Dextrin +5

regards

Adrenaline

Edited by Adrenaline

there are alot of primes out there for hot cold everything in between,I say again 75/15/10/10/05 will light anything

kno3

c

s

silicon

wood meal(pine)

try a small batch I bet it works for you and so cheap

or veline superprime. i like that one.

I recently came across a few star compositions which where somewhat hard to light.

The prime I use for all my stars is Bp + 7 % MgAl. This prime managed to light all stars like KClO4 or BaNO3 colored stars without problems.

A few days ago i made a batch of silver streamer stars with an high Al content. My Bp/MgAl prime manages to light about 50% of the stars. (Shot out of a star gun)

Since I like a strong burst I am worried whether this prime will be successfull when i load the stars into a 4" ball shell.

As I was looking for hotter primes, red thermite came to my mind. What do you guys think? Would standardt Thermite + 6% Dextrin make a useable prime? My concerns are that the thermite burns too slow and the stars will have a large delay.

Another prime compositon I found is Skylighters Hot Igniter Star Prime:

Potassium perchlorate 71%

Charcoal, airfloat 14%

Red gum 9%

Magnalium 6%

Do you think this prime is hot enough to light BJVs silver stars?

KNO3 45

Dark Alum 30

Atomized Alum 200mesh 10

Sulphur 10

Meal Powder 5

Dextrin +5

regards

Adrenaline

Here is the prime I use on the Silver Stars.

Kno3 56

Sulfur 11

Char.(AF) 9

Char.(80mesh) 3

Silicon 10

Dark Alum. 6

Dextrin 5

BJV

For what it's worth the "Skylighter" prime is actually from Lloyd Sponnenburgh, and nicknamed Pinball Prime. Though it is lacking the 1oz/lb dextrin included in the original.

For what it's worth the "Skylighter" prime is actually from Lloyd Sponnenburgh, and nicknamed Pinball Prime. Though it is lacking the 1oz/lb dextrin included in the original.

yeah i dont use dextrin in mine

i think omitting dextrin makes your stars "fuzzier" and therefore light more easily.

I keep larger batches of that prime around. I do keep the dextrin in it. I have however slurry primed with red gum as the binder. When water bound it adheres better, but it all usually sticks fairly well.