APC Forum

Speed of your black match

pyrosailor99

Hi all!

i'm wondering how fast is your black match. does it burns like a tunder when it is in the paper pipe?

i ask this because i'm researching about and comparing commercial quick match (5 indipendend strands in a blue/red/yellow flatterned paper pipe) and hand-made black match made by pyro companies in my country...

well, i can only tell 1 thing and this is for sure: the BM of the companies i know is quick as (and maybe quicker than) the commercial BM but the difference is that the hand-made BM is made of a single cotton wire (about 4 pre-twiested strands souped in a powder soup i dont know the comp ).

the hand-made BM seems like LIDU black match.

i've got some BP from a friend, it is HIGH GRADE (never seen a so good hand made BP, he have a ballmill), we made some test with this BP and made some black match in many variants....

well, none of this is so quick as the commercial and the pro-hand-made BM we have,

so i think that commercial and companies-hand-made BM is not made only of classic BP.

i really think they improve the BM sensitivity adding some chem to the composition. i really suspect they make outer layer of the BM with another comp. i suspect they dust the classic wet BM with a comp that contain Potassium Perchlorate...

what do you think about?

just a note, our BP is really good also for lift charge, so we are sure our BP is the best we can obtain.

we made various test:

1) single cotton cord (4 strands twisted) in a pipe

2-3-4-5) 1/2/4/5 indipendent cotton strands in a pipe

6-7-8-9-10) same as 1-5 but dusting the wet BM with BP.

the soup for BP was made with classic 75-15-10 BP + 2% dextrin - dried at hot sun for 4 days.

results:

we putted the BM in kraft paper pipes and chocked one side to avoid the BM slip out the pipe. we lighted the open side of the pipe.

the speed of the BM increased in the test 4 and 9... but not so quick as the commercial BM.

just a thing. the BM is really quick for any use... but it don't burn like commercial and pro-hand-made... there is something different....

i can't tell you what...

i can just tell you a difference:

-when the flame of a good BM enter the pipe, explode in the same moment the flame is near the mouth of the pipe... also if opened on both side.

-when our BM flame enter the pipe, it don't explode immediately... it make a sort of gerb... then it run on the other side. it seems to explode only if we m choke both side of the pipe... but the BM is not so reactive like the commercial... the chokes (with knots) seems to slowdown the BM... in the commercial no choke/knot have never slowdowned the bm flame...

tell me what do you think.

Edited by pyrosailor99