APC Forum

glitter stars

allrocketspsl

Probably half the members here...

what colors do you make or half make?

You pretty much get to take your pick of white and yellow/gold. You can sometimes do a poor pink at times.

You pretty much get to take your pick of white and yellow/gold. You can sometimes do a poor pink at times.

thanks,this is the only record i can find for tremelon in a reddish tinged glitter:

Sodium Nitrate meal powder: 71%

Antimony silicide? (SbSi) 9

Mixed lithium powder 10

Grass sodium (sodium oxalate) 12

Dextrine 7

Where did you end up finding that formula? It looks very questionable at best. How exactly do you expect to bind that composition with water, as evidence by the dextrin, if it has lithium powder in it? It's going to react well before you're able to get it probably even cut into stars. On top of that, all that sodium oxalate is going to over power any slight hint of red you may get if the lithium miraculously survives.

I found some more info, it's from John Reilly. http://www.groupsrv.com/hobby/about507178.html

It seems antimony silicide is really antimony trisulfide. They still haven't a clue on the mixed lithium powder. A gut instinct says maybe an alloy? I've often wondered if an alloy of lithium, or copper, or other color producing metals, may be of use for the colored glitter effect. Lithium may actually be worth a shot as most other metals are prohibitively expensive. It could actually be viable. It's been on my ever expanding to-do list since I first read Glitter: Chemistry and Technique by LSO many years ago.

I found some more info, it's from John Reilly. http://www.groupsrv....bout507178.html

It seems antimony silicide is really antimony trisulfide. They still haven't a clue on the mixed lithium powder. A gut instinct says maybe an alloy? I've often wondered if an alloy of lithium, or copper, or other color producing metals, may be of use for the colored glitter effect. Lithium may actually be worth a shot as most other metals are prohibitively expensive. It could actually be viable. It's been on my ever expanding to-do list since I first read Glitter: Chemistry and Technique by LSO many years ago.

http://www.groupsrv....bout507178

hum I thought half this forum has made tremelon stars,lol!

Edited by allrocketspsl

They probably have. You're not asking a question or for advice or anything. It's probably not worth people's time to chime in and say "I've made them", "Me too"........."me 37".... It'd all be fairly pointless.

They probably have. You're not asking a question or for advice or anything. It's probably not worth people's time to chime in and say "I've made them", "Me too"........."me 37".... It'd all be fairly pointless.

right!ty

This thread is pointless... BUT...

On the topic of lithium alloys... a large salute buff at PGI has told me stories of playing with some sort of lithium alloy. He luckily just happened to run into a dude who happened to be playing with it on a camping trip, so like any curious pyro would do, he met with the guy and asked him about it. IIRC it was some sort of lithium silicon alloy... but I could be wrong. It was very water reactive, either the dew came in or it rained, I can't remember... but it made small amounts of the scattered alloy on the ground glow and pop. That being said, this was a particular alloy... other alloys wont necessarily behave the same... There is actually a few aerospace alloys that IIRC are lithium/magnesium/aluminum to keep them very light weight and while all three elements are pretty reactive as powders, a solid alloy bar isn't going to react much in the right proportions. And by aerospace, I think it was more like outer-space, ie negligible oxygen anyways.

This thread is pointless... BUT...

On the topic of lithium alloys... a large salute buff at PGI has told me stories of playing with some sort of lithium alloy. He luckily just happened to run into a dude who happened to be playing with it on a camping trip, so like any curious pyro would do, he met with the guy and asked him about it. IIRC it was some sort of lithium silicon alloy... but I could be wrong. It was very water reactive, either the dew came in or it rained, I can't remember... but it made small amounts of the scattered alloy on the ground glow and pop. That being said, this was a particular alloy... other alloys wont necessarily behave the same... There is actually a few aerospace alloys that IIRC are lithium/magnesium/aluminum to keep them very light weight and while all three elements are pretty reactive as powders, a solid alloy bar isn't going to react much in the right proportions. And by aerospace, I think it was more like outer-space, ie negligible oxygen anyways.

thanks for sharing that,yeah a pointless thread it seems for sure,maybe most on here have never made tremelon glitter,seems to be alot of Ralphs and Di one but not much else!Just a thought

Tremelon is essentially another name for glitter. And glitter is just a name referring to a wide class of compositions that all behave somewhat similarly what with the whole (aluminum)/sulfur/nitrate/charcoal smoulder/flash phase delay stuffs lol... You can even lump Senko Hanabi in with glitter effects.

So who has used a glitter/tremelon type composition before? Essentially anyone who is active in amateur pyrotechnics considering the monetary/supply barrier to try one out is pretty low. Its low hanging fruit.

It sounds like he might specifically be talking about Jerry Taylor's Tremalon formula. It's one of my favorite formulas, very beautiful.

Tremelon is essentially another name for glitter. And glitter is just a name referring to a wide class of compositions that all behave somewhat similarly what with the whole (aluminum)/sulfur/nitrate/charcoal smoulder/flash phase delay stuffs lol... You can even lump Senko Hanabi in with glitter effects.

So who has used a glitter/tremelon type composition before? Essentially anyone who is active in amateur pyrotechnics considering the monetary/supply barrier to try one out is pretty low. Its low hanging fruit.

ok thats what i was looking for thanks mate very helpful Im just a rookie making rockets.TY j

It sounds like he might specifically be talking about Jerry Taylor's Tremalon formula. It's one of my favorite formulas, very beautiful.

Tremalon - Jerry Taylor

Meal Powder 24

Antimony Trisulfide, Chinese needle 4.5

Aluminum, atom, spher, 120-325 mesh, 20 micron 3

Dextrin 2.25

Strontium Carbonate 1.5

Sodium Oxalate 1.5

ty mumbles and asilentbob

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
With ralphs glitter formula where he says to use spherical aluminium, 200-400 mesh could that be replaced with flake aluminium since that's all I have

ok thats what i was looking for thanks mate very helpful Im just a rookie making rockets.TY j

california pyro not long ago sent up a rocket with tremelon stars it may be worth asking him for any info he has on them since it was recent.

dan.