APC Forum

Shipping Chemicals

zenen1

hello, i need some help regarding the shipment of chemical. I found some websites that ship international, while i was only looking for some 325 mesh spherical aluminum powder and some magnesium turnings i couldnt help but see that they were also selling potassium perchlorate. which I have been looking for for a very long time for use in colored star comps. So i was wondering if i was to order some potassium perchlorate shipped to canada would that get me marked as suspicious at the border?

hello, i need some help regarding the shipment of chemical. I found some websites that ship international, while i was only looking for some 325 mesh spherical aluminum powder and some magnesium turnings i couldnt help but see that they were also selling potassium perchlorate. which I have been looking for for a very long time for use in colored star comps. So i was wondering if i was to order some potassium perchlorate shipped to canada would that get me marked as suspicious at the border?

http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/smm-mms/expl-expl/comp-comp/ures-ures-eng.htm

Information for Users of the Other Eight Restricted Components

Effective March 1, 2009, if you are a user of any of the following eight (8) Restricted Components:

• hydrogen peroxide at a concentration of 30 percent or higher
  • nitric acid at a concentration of 68 percent or higher
  • nitromethane
  • potassium chlorate
  • potassium perchlorate
  • sodium chlorate
  • potassium nitrate
  • sodium nitrate

You will be asked to provide your supplier with proper identification (e.g. government issued photo ID) and explain how you intend to use the product.

http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/smm-mms/expl-expl/comp-comp/vres-vres-eng.htm

nformation for Vendors of the Eight Restricted Components

Effective March 1, 2009, if you manufacture, import, export, purchase, provide or distribute for sale any amount of any of these eight (8) Restricted Components:

• hydrogen peroxide at a concentration of 30 percent or higher
  • nitric acid at a concentration of 68 percent or higher
  • nitromethane
  • potassium chlorate
  • potassium perchlorate
  • sodium chlorate
  • potassium nitrate
  • sodium nitrate

you must comply with NRCan’s Restricted Components Regulations by

• enrolling with ERD to ensure that you are listed as an authorized seller
  • taking security measures to protect your product supply and all related documentation from theft and unauthorized access
  • requesting from customers proper identification (e.g. government issued photo ID) and intent of use.

Look around on the NRCAN website, they are the regulators of oxidizers in Canada. Email them a question. They have to answer it, it's there job to help you comply with the law. Ask for their answers in writing, not verbally, a piece of paper is much more likely to have a researched and correct answer on it than a verbal response. Plus a piece of paper could be useful in the future if something goes sideways.