APC Forum

No caps, no punctuation...

stckmndn

I think it needs to happen. With the internet and spell check there is no reason to be ignorant anymore.

iff nit useng propper englishh allowws sm1 to pst a rply en a lmtd amountt of tm whn thay othewise wldnt b ablle 2 thn Y nt

we are pyrotechnicians brought together by a common love of our hobby and not by our ability to write or use a computer one dosnt need to be able to spell aluminium to make glitter or shell to create art , many people that use this forum dont nesisarily know how to get a web based spell checker working many of us dont have the time I for one have terrible spelling and grammer and I cant really edit my own work (the way I read I read whole sentences at once rather than words so Im unable to pick up my errors easily) and also consider the older pyros typeing with 1 finger reluctant to post beacuse it takes them a week to write a post who certainly wont with your foolish idea

I still cant properly spell the name of the degree I nearly have and I dont really need to other than on my resume which will be checked by someone for me

Im polish and I dont like nazis and that includes the stupid gramer nazis wishing to exterminate anyone they deem to be infior to them

EDIT: removed some accidental punctuation that was included

Edited by Ralph

... I dont like nazis and that includes the stupid gramer nazis wishing to exterminate anyone they deem to be infior to them

Here, here! I do like proper spelling an punctuation but sometimes screw up when typing, spellcheck catches most of it and I almost never apostrophize "its" and have no idea what the difference is between then and than (jk).

-dag

No one cares about incidental mistakes. What really does bother me is posts likes yours Ralph. They are extremely hard to read and follow, and most people just kind of pass them over and don't gain as much respect for the person. Honestly Ralph, you for the most part know whats going on, but people would definitely take you more seriously if you posted like you've graduated 8th grade. If you're going to bring up older individuals who have not had the luxury of growing up around a keyboard, you have to also take into consideration that they have not grown up around a computer screen with text. Without proper stops and commas it may be harder for them to follow along. Regardless of age or time required to post something, one enormous run-on sentence in harder to comprehend.

For what it's worth Ralph, when you get out to the real world, if you continue to take no concern with your spelling and grammar it will seriously affect your career. If someone gets an idea that you're an idiot, it's hard to change their mind. Not being able to clearly and effective communicate is one sure fire way to get into that boat.

I essentially just corrected the spelling, and added capitals and punctuation. Make your own judgment:

we are pyrotechnicians brought together by a common love of our hobby and not by our ability to write or use a computer one dosnt need to be able to spell aluminium to make glitter or shell to create art , many people that use this forum dont nesisarily know how to get a web based spell checker working many of us dont have the time I for one have terrible spelling and grammer and I cant really edit my own work (the way I read I read whole sentences at once rather than words so Im unable to pick up my errors easily) and also consider the older pyros typeing with 1 finger reluctant to post beacuse it takes them a week to write a post who certainly wont with your foolish idea

I still cant properly spell the name of the degree I nearly have and I dont really need to other than on my resume which will be checked by someone for me

We are pyrotechnicians brought together by a common love of our hobby and not by our ability to write or use a computer. One doesn't need to be able to spell aluminium to make glitter or shell to create art. Many people that use this forum don't necessarily know how to get a web based spell checker working, and many of us don't have the time. I for one have terrible spelling and grammar, and I can't really edit my own work (the way I read, I read whole sentences at once rather than words so I'm unable to pick up my errors easily). Also consider the older pyros typing with one finger, reluctant to post because it takes them a week to write a post, and who certainly won't be with your foolish idea.

I still can't properly spell the name of the degree I nearly have, and I don't really need to other than on my resume which will be checked by someone for me.

No one cares about incidental mistakes. What really does bother me is posts likes yours Ralph. They are extremely hard to read and follow, and most people just kind of pass them over and don't gain as much respect for the person. Honestly Ralph, you for the most part know whats going on, but people would definitely take you more seriously if you posted like you've graduated 8th grade. If you're going to bring up older individuals who have not had the luxury of growing up around a keyboard, you have to also take into consideration that they have not grown up around a computer screen with text. Without proper stops and commas it may be harder for them to follow along. Regardless of age or time required to post something, one enormous run-on sentence in harder to comprehend.

For what it's worth Ralph, when you get out to the real world, if you continue to take no concern with your spelling and grammar it will seriously affect your career. If someone gets an idea that you're an idiot, it's hard to change their mind. Not being able to clearly and effective communicate is one sure fire way to get into that boat.

I essentially just corrected the spelling, and added capitals and punctuation. Make your own judgment:

wow,wtf is this all about make fireworks mates!Enjoy life chill sit back Ive been around the world on foot little money,the real world is simply the real world and its not perfect and everything in it isnt close to being perfect,thank GOD! My cents worth!

Am I missing something here? What does team america have to do with anything?

I really have no idea why this thread was really even made, this isn't a democracy and will still be enforced as we see fit. Spelling and grammar still encouraged/required to be used.

Oh Boy! I have got some pennies to throw in. I hope I can play too.

What really get me are things like IIRC, RC, EC, CC and a few others.WTF can stay as is- as I do not think cursing looks good in the forum. Yes I am old and find I hard to understand a lot of things. But I am still learning to work a computer.

How close did I pitch my penny to the line.

Pat

Edited by patsroom

iff nit useng propper englishh allowws sm1 to pst a rply en a lmtd amountt of tm whn thay othewise wldnt b ablle 2 thn Y nt

Im polish and I dont like nazis and that includes the stupid gramer nazis wishing to exterminate anyone they deem to be infior to them

EDIT: removed some accidental punctuation that was included

Hi buddy. I'm 100% Polish myself. And I'm not a Nazi. And some of my family members were actually killed in the Holocaust. So why don't we just get off that garbage.

I don't know about you, but when I type an incorrect word here the software prompts me to correct it. I grew up without computers. If there ever was a word I did not understand I looked it up manually. I always kept a dictionary by my side for learning purposes. I never went forward without that correction. Simple enough.

Please reread that statement to yourself. And then reread it again. And then respond to me.

Take advantage of the technology you have available to you in correcting your spelling. And if you think you're so special that your imperfections will be overlooked in the real world, guess again. If I have two job applicants in front of me...

Am I missing something here? What does team america have to do with anything?

Get into line, buddy...

I think Mumbles edited one of my posts as he is sometimes wont to do. And I'm sure that's a good thing.

What really get me are things like IIRC, RC, EC, CC and a few others.WTF can stay as is- as I do not think cursing looks good in the forum. Yes I am old and find I hard to understand a lot of things. But I am still learning to work a computer.

Pat

You kick ass.

This is hilarious. I see the point of good grammar spelling and punctuation. But the reality is that we represent many nations that does not speak English. While I am American, and arrogant enough to think English should be the universal language, I do understand the difficulties that entails. Just imagine if this forum was I'n French or Spanish or any of a hundred other languages/dialects. I applaud our friends that actually make the effort to speak my language, correctly or not. It's been my experience that the post here mirror the average Corp. Memo.

My 2 cents

Live from the field via iPhone,

Predictive text enabled

Clyde

Pat

I don't have a problem with acronyms used (WTF, IIRC etc..). It took me awhile to figure some of them out, but they don't bother me and I use them sometimes too. The txt msg type stuff really bothers me, almost as much as poor spelling and no punctuation.

This is hilarious. I see the point of good grammar spelling and punctuation. But the reality is that we represent many nations that does not speak English. While I am American, and arrogant enough to think English should be the universal language, I do understand the difficulties that entails. Just imagine if this forum was I'n French or Spanish or any of a hundred other languages/dialects. I applaud our friends that actually make the effort to speak my language, correctly or not. It's been my experience that the post here mirror the average Corp. Memo.

My 2 cents

Live from the field via iPhone,

Predictive text enabled

Clyde

The language barrier can be an issue, however, it seems that many who's English is a second language use spelling and punctuation better than some of those who are just too lazy (or stupid).

I think people who can't spell (a very basic skill) should not graduate high school...

Typos are one thing, but A BIT of effort on grammar and spelling should be applied. It makes posts much easier to read and understand.

Grammar is useful to ensure that the intended meaning is conveyed by the words we use. In this interest area mistakes can be expensive, numerous chemical names get spelled wrongly and sooner or later someone will misinterpret a spelling mistake and have an explosion.

On the other hand though, if you are blindly following somebody else's posts without applying your own knowledge of the various potential hazards (and researching the things that aren't clear), you are already putting yourself at risk regardless of spelling or grammar errors!

I think text type and anything else that is blatantly unprofessional and lazy should be strongly discouraged. However, I know there are plenty of people who are competent in their field but have either some sort of disability, language barrier, or other special situation that affects their typing/spelling/grammar. I think if we were to "ban" those people it would be a loss to us.

• 1 year later...

I know that this is a very old thread, but to demonstrate the importance of proper punctuation I felt the need to bump it.

Consider the following anecdote:

A professor wrote the words, "A woman without her man is nothing" on the blackboard and directed his students to punctuate it correctly.

The men wrote: "A woman, without her man, is nothing."

The women wrote: "A woman: Without her, man is nothing."

Often times my spelling and punctuation is atrocious, yet I understand the importance. Accidents may occur in messages, but deliberate disregard for proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation is likely to cause them to occur in the lab as well.

Edited to correct URI encoded quotation marks.

Edited by BurritoBandito

Honestly, unless I know someone is struggling with English as a second language, I do not tolerate poor grammer and structure well. Am I perfect? No. Do I strive to be, and correct mis-types? All the time.

I do not want to try to decypher hip-hop talk or lazy slang. This is bsically a scientific subject, and forum, and expect a certain level of communication skills that are unambiguous and concise

Yes, given the subjects discussed here, grammar and punctuation isn't just a good idea, it's vital to stay safe.

It's one thing to speak English as a second language, and we do allow for language difficulties.

It's quite another when English is your native language and you post gibberish. What I've seen people try to pass off as "English" astounds me at times.