APC Forum

Falling leaves fuse safety

Short5

I would like to know what I am handling when cutting up a bunch of that stuff. I have geen, violet, and strobing fuse. It came with no MSDS.

I would like to know what I am handling when cutting up a bunch of that stuff. I have geen, violet, and strobing fuse. It came with no MSDS.

It can be treated like any other visco type fuse from my experience.

Not sure about the geen though.:D

It can be treated like any other visco type fuse from my experience.

Not sure about the geen though.:D

Just to clarify, in case I was confusing, does anyone know what is in it? Visco is BP, falling leaves fuse is different chemical compounds depending on the color. It would make sense that cutting and handling it requires more caution than cutting visco bp fuse. I am wondering if it has any severe risks asosciated with the chemicals contained within.

I wouldn't worry too much about compatibility. The green presumably has some sort of barium in in, so I'd watch out for that as far as safety. I would also probably cut the fuse with razor blades or an anvil cutter and not scissors or anything. Treat it like you'd treat any other star comp, and you should be fine.

Thank you,Mumbles. I have been using standard precautions like I would with star comp. I sorta assumed the green may have barium nitrate, I just worry when messing with unknown compositions that they may contain some sort of creeping death. I shudder to think about the chinese fireworks I dismantled and tinkered with as a kid.

just an off topic note about falling leaves fuse and safety you should never use falling leaves as a delay fuse on a salute or on anything large and scary Ive had it stop on me in particular 2 different brands of blue it dosnt like hot glue it hates moisture even when fully dried off and is prone to stop for no good reason and ocationally restart after some smuldering

• 1 year later...
I have had the same problem with strobing fuse.

Standard rules for cutting fuse are sharp blade onto a non ferrous surface. So razor blade or craft knife onto a piece of wood or plastic.

Work out how much you need, then cut that much off the roll. pack the roll away THEN cut the fuse into the lengths required.

Remember if it was safe we wouldn't be interested! So risk assess and then minimise the risks and hazards. Keep only the smallest necessary amounts on the work table.

Jason (the Miller fireworks manager) tells a story about how crackling fuse ignited on him while he was cutting it with scissors. It could have been friction acting on the more sensitive composition or it could have been a spark from the blades passing one another - can't really say! But I certainly would use extra caution when cutting effects fuse. Or better yet, use extra caution when cutting all types of fuse.

I have been using anvil pruners for awhile now, safer I think than scissors when building the "fuse fountains" I've put together for day after tomorrow; lots of cuts involved through multiple strands.