APC Forum

5x4 inch double petal/colour changing

fredhappy

These were my 4 inch shells I also shot at the same venue.

first shell : uhhh....a reversed bowtie. I 'd switched the bowtie stars and ring stars. It didn't turn out as I thought it would . bowtie 10mm brightblue to 6 mm buell red, ring were 10 mm C8 to B70.

second shell: colour changing double petal.....10 mm bright blue to 6 mm buell red outer flower .. inner petal were 6 mm KCLO4 silver wave stars.

third shell : 10 mm C8+4%Fe/Ti to 6 mm b70. Inner petal 7 mm buell red stars, 2 "depression. The c8 burned off quite dim, and gave a real cool yet unintended dark relay effect. It made the b70 stars really pop out almost instantly.

fourth shell : same as third..

fifth shell : blue to red peony . Not my best one symmetry wise, it was a bit egg shaped..

It took me lots of time and effort to make all this stuff. I tried to be as precise as possible with mixing, rolling, sorting, building and pasting . Fun to build and shoot, I had a blast!.....

best

Fred

post-10434-0-79323500-1311897540_thumb.jpg

post-10434-0-96117800-1311898323_thumb.jpg

Realy nice shell's,red is nice color(to sayd you a true, it looks like orange :) ).. I like that you doing double petal on 4'' shell's ;) what is very hard.. Double petal starting from 5'' ..

Respect .

Realy nice shell's,red is nice color(to sayd you a true, it looks like orange :) ).. I like that you doing double petal on 4'' shell's ;) what is very hard.. Double petal starting from 5'' ..

Respect .

Thx!

The buell red formulae is very red in person, it must be picked up a bit orange by my cam. I like doing 4 "double petals, it is the smallest caliber which enables double petals. Building 5"and 6"double petals is much easier due to the availability of more space to work with. Inner petal can be 2 of 2.5 ", but I prefer the 2" for 4"double petals.

Nice shells. I really liked the second one. What comp did u use for your silver wave stars?

Nice shells. I really liked the second one. What comp did u use for your silver wave stars?

Silver Flitter

Kclo4 39.1

Red Gum 7.6

Atomized AL (-325) 36.6

Mg/Al (50/50 –200) 6.3

S 4.4

Boric Acid 1.3 ( I don't use the specified boric acid for this formulae myself)

Dextrin 4.4

I swapped the specified 200 mesh Mg/Al for 70 mesh for my own stars and I liked the result a lot

The amount of pasting depends on the effect/stars. 4 to 5 layers of 3 strip/wheat paste is the minimum I use with KP breaks.

Good job Freddy!

The best double petaled 4 inchers I have ever seen! What is the material of inner sphere and how do you assemble your double petaled 4 inch shells? Are there any critical points by your mind? Did you prove to use cut stars for such type of 4 inch shells?

BR

Good job Freddy!

The best double petaled 4 inchers I have ever seen! What is the material of inner sphere and how do you assemble your double petaled 4 inch shells? Are there any critical points by your mind? Did you prove to use cut stars for such type of 4 inch shells?

BR

I ve tried all methods in regard to inner petal construction. Perforated hemi's, spiking petal with flax wire, Japanese inside out building and so on. What works best for me is just forming a depression with a hemi, and using very thin rice paper to seperate the petal from burst. I use 2 "hemi for inner petal forming.

I've never used cut stars. These are much better suited for cannister shells in my opinion. For round shells I roll round stars, preferably with a colour change.