APC Forum

Gummed Tape Applicator:

Kaokin

I was at the local NHPA shoot and a member was using a Better Pack model 333 to wet and dispense gummed tape as he applied the strips to his canister shells. This seemed like an awesome unit untill I started looking into purchasing one! The cost of these gummed tape machines is $300 - $1000, and they dont seem to be a perfect solution for the job. Most of these tape machines have pre-determined lengths of tape that they will dispense, and those lengths are much longer than usable for our purposes. Before I give any more consideration to purchasing a machine like this, Does anyone know if the output lengths can be modified? If the minium leght of tape dispensed is 15", is there a way for me to mechanically dial that down to paste a 3" ball shell? Is there a particular machine that everyone uses for taping, or am I barking up the wrong tree here??

The one I've seen in person went down to 2" I think. If the manual is true and there are 15 preset lengths, and it goes to 30", then it goes down to 2". I'd personally stick with a 6" piece of tape and tear in in two. The strips I personally use are about 3" long. I didn't think they were all that handy to have actually. I much prefer to use a longer strip of paper or prewetted tape, and tear as I go.

The one I've seen in person went down to 2" I think. If the manual is true and there are 15 preset lengths, and it goes to 30", then it goes down to 2". I'd personally stick with a 6" piece of tape and tear in in two. The strips I personally use are about 3" long. I didn't think they were all that handy to have actually. I much prefer to use a longer strip of paper or prewetted tape, and tear as I go.

I tried the wheat paste / Kraft method and it was a nightmare; I didnt at all like the process!!! I have read that strapping tape is not as effective as pasting, so that leaves me with gummed tape or specializing in something that doesnt involve pasting ;). Mumbles, what do you use to actually wet the gummed tape? The club member that had the Better Pack said that the glue would dry very quickly after it came out of the machine; Is this your experience after wetting the tape with your method?

I was using a plastic food container with a few sponges in it most recently. Before that I was using a wet washcloth, and would rewet in a bowl of water as needed. I pull an arms length out, so 6ft or so, and tear it off. I can pasted that easily before it dries out. It always seems to lay down better for me when both sides were damp, so maybe that had something to do with it.\

What issues were you having with pasted kraft? It's not too bad once you get the hang of it. Were you trying to paste over a plastic shell? Those are rather slippery and kind of hard to do properly.

I was using a plastic food container with a few sponges in it most recently. Before that I was using a wet washcloth, and would rewet in a bowl of water as needed. I pull an arms length out, so 6ft or so, and tear it off. I can pasted that easily before it dries out. It always seems to lay down better for me when both sides were damp, so maybe that had something to do with it.\

What issues were you having with pasted kraft? It's not too bad once you get the hang of it. Were you trying to paste over a plastic shell? Those are rather slippery and kind of hard to do properly.

The main issue i had was the length of time that it took. I think i spent 40 minutes to paste 1 shell start to finish, 3" paper ball shell, 3 layers of pasting. I used the 3 strip method which took some getting used to as well. That amount of time into a 3" shell is not a very good return on investment lol. If it was a 6" shell or something very impressive than that amount of time would be warranted, otherwise i would rather buy a case of 3's from china and spend $4 a shell.

I then started looking into a way to make the process more efficient, gummed tape seems to be a great step in that direction. So now i am looking to see what everyone does with their gummed tape and decide on the most efficient way to apply it....

Your first time will never be fast (well, depending on the task ^_^). I wouldn't call it quits just yet. You'll probably also hate to hear that your shell probably need double the number of layers. That is if you don't mean 3 double layers, which the 3 strip can do. I did quickly give up on the 3 strip method, as it is as you mentioned it's somewhat time consuming. I use a method outlined by Jim Widmann in an article in the PGI bulletin a few years ago. It's also in the anthology, and available somewhere on passfire if you're interested. Essentially an empty pole is left at each end of the shell to prevent build up, which is then filled in after the layer is completed. I find it to go pretty fast. Cutting strips is still a pain. I'm moving to a tear as you go method where a long strip is wetted (tape) or broken in (paper and paste) and layed down tearing off the strips as I go. I don't know how it'd work for the 3 strip method, but for the method from Widmann it works like a charm.

Just remember, patience is a part of pyro. If it was quick and easy, anyone could do it.

if all your looking at is cost I have a surprise for you.

It is nearly always cheaper to buy it, but nearly as satisfying

in a severe pinch i've used uline packaging tape to tape a shell up...it has worked OK, but it's nowhere near as good as kraft. i like to get my kraft tape relatively damp and maleable. unfortunately, drying time is several days, but it's the same way in china. i fully submerge the tape for several seconds and proceed pasting. a 3" ball shell should have 6 layers my friend. if it's winter, they tend to dry rather quickly, and in summer, the best way is to just leave a tray of pasted shells out on a tray, for the first few hours, i'll give them a toss to expose all sides to the sun...and then i'll leave em there for another day or two before pasting a lift and leader on.

I realize that the shell needed 6 layers, that is why i opted to try the 3 strip method because each layer counted for 2 layers (so the instructor says....). Sounded like a great idea; Save three layers, get done in 1/2 the time! I didn't realize how much of a PITA it would be lol. Mum, I believe I am familiar with the Widmann method; each piece of kraft extends from one pole to about 3/4 the distance to the opposite pole, then repeat inversely. I think I will try this next. I opted for that three strip method because I thought it would SAVE time, but I think I can probably do six layers Widmann style in the time it took me to do 3 layers 3-strip style and with alot less frustration.

I am certainly not ONLY concerned with cost. Cost will always be a factor, as will the value of my time. Please don't misunderstand me, firework making is a passion of mine that will be with me for a lifetime. There is nothing wrong with doing it efficiently and economically as possible.

I am wondering; Has anyone ever modified a Better Pack 333 machine to dispense custom length pieces of gummed tape specifically designed for pasting shells?

That is not the method I am thinking of. Strips are approximately the nominal diameter in length. IE 3" long for a 3" shell, 8" long for an 8" shell. Lay them down, over lapping by half, to leave an evenly sized hole on both ends. Cover the hole with paper, and move on. I do change axes every "layer" (which is actually 2) as well to avoid any unneeded buildup, but that may not be necessary. I've tried the method you describe, and still got build up which doesn't work for me. I want them to be round, perhaps need if you consult my OCD. Like I said the method is outlined in those references if you're interested, all are great in their own right.

That is not the method I am thinking of. Strips are approximately the nominal diameter in length. IE 3" long for a 3" shell, 8" long for an 8" shell. Lay them down, over lapping by half, to leave an evenly sized hole on both ends. Cover the hole with paper, and move on. I do change axes every "layer" (which is actually 2) as well to avoid any unneeded buildup, but that may not be necessary. I've tried the method you describe, and still got build up which doesn't work for me. I want them to be round, perhaps need if you consult my OCD. Like I said the method is outlined in those references if you're interested, all are great in their own right.

I guess I should pony up for the passfire membership, I have heard its a great resource

I guess I should pony up for the passfire membership, I have heard its a great resource

the info is worth the cost

Try a guest membership and you will spend the $

Steve

Edited by moondogman

That home made unit looks pretty nice for wetting tape!! I just won a Betterpack 333 on ebay for $25 which is UNHEARD OF, They are $400 new and usually $100-$175 used, the listing says it works fine so we will see! It dispenses sctivated gummed tape tape as short as 3"

post-10413-0-65094200-1311887770_thumb.jpg