APC Forum

On flash powder and DDT, courtesy of the US government.

anapogeetoofar

I thought this was rather interesting for various reasons. All credit to "The wizard is in" on science madness for finding this, he dobe the magic file finding man.

Some questions That popped into my mind after reading this:

1. Would similar results be had without the "thick as hell steel pipe" ? I don't think this is really indicative of a high order event, the force exerted by any comp all squeezed into that little space is going to be tremendous, more than enough to mangle thin steel, no? Even the Goex did something. A thick cast iron (or other metal with a tendency to shatter) witness plate would seem a better test to me.

2. What is the US DOT doing messing about with flash?

3. Where on earth did the DOT come across this "typical" "bursting charge" of theirs? I have a very strong urge to make some and press it with some whistle tooling, I mean, if its good enough for the government.....

The sulfur does scare me though.

I hope I'm not breaking any rules posting this, just found it relevant, and thought it might intrigue others as well. It isn't everyday uncle Sam does a detailed study on our hobbies most controversial composition. (or is it?)

I was going to put this in the safety section, but thought it was more relevant here, move if necessary.

Flash powder DDT wiz.pdf

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with this testing and it shows exactly what the differences are between non-flash and flash comps. It is just a determinater of what is and what is not flash. It is both the DOT's responsibility and obligation to be able to determine whether flash is being transported or not and the correct placards be used.

-dag

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with this testing and it shows exactly what the differences are between non-flash and flash comps. It is just a determinater of what is and what is not flash. It is both the DOT's responsibility and obligation to be able to determine whether flash is being transported or not and the correct placards be used.

-dag

Crap... now there's a job I'd enjoy :lol: I bet I could get a reference from the AeeTeeEff too :whistle:

Edited by Richtee