APC Forum

Star size and count

AdmiralDonSnider

The importance of star size and count for the appearance of fireworks devices is something probably well-known to the experienced shellmaker (I´m not one of those). Classic sources such as Shimizu stress the importance of both aspects for Warimono type shells; the same does Fulcanelli for traditional canister types.

However, while being familiar with it in theory, the topic really caught my attention in the struggle for reproducing commercial class C bombettes. Star size and count here seems to be extremely relevant for the devices´ performance, probably even more relevant than casing and choice of break charge.

The principles are simple if one thinks about them; while it is plain that "full" bursts can´t be achived with only a few large stars, the chance of getting even bursts is also drastically reduced if the star count (linked to star size in a limited space) drops, especially if the break/container harmony is suboptimal.

There is a tendency, supported by the popular use of rather slow-burning star comps, to use too large stars and - consequently - to few of them. When I started out making pyro I produced 1 cm cut stars, soon finding out that there was no reasonable way to use them, and in my career I have wasted kilos of compositions because I shaped them in an improper size (for the intended use).

To cast light on another variable: star type obviously is important, as different types of stars show different burn characteristics/duration with a given comp and star size. This is linked to density and other factors. (Where the space in a device is limited, one is thus often "forced" to use a specific star type to get the desired burn characteristics; so e.g. in small bombettes, where anything else than round stars seems to fail.)

What are your experiences on the relevance of star count and star size, relating to burst appearance (try to stick to such "aesthetical" aspects here)? I´d be glad to hear them.

Edited by AdmiralDonSnider

To me, first and foremost is color/effect. It may be personal preference, but I'd rather see great colors or glitters/tails with suboptimal breaks, that great round flowers with crappy colors or tails. From there I can choose appropriate sizes for the shells. I typically go by the star size guidelines laid out in fulcanelli and apply them to both round and cylindrical shells. I typically make cylindrical shells, so consequently typically make cut and pumped stars. I'm slowly coming to accept that they don't work too well, at least in larger sizes, in ball shells.

I try to have a fast and slow metallic version of the more common colors, plus an organic version. I have a lot of formulas at my disposal, but really only have a hand full of ones I really use. I don't have a fondness one way or another with metallic colors, but where I shoot they are rampant and the organic colors (except for blues and some purples) just don't seem to pop on their own when you're used to being mildly blinded. I do use them in combination with charcoal streamers and glitters though where they really stand out.

As you've mentioned star sizing in important. This is why I have slow and fast versions of colors. I really don't pay attention to star count. If a star is the correct size, it will look good. I pay more attention to combinations of colors and other effects.