APC Forum

cleaning screens

garyrapp55

Can anyone tell me how to clean my 100 mesh screen. I have run no metals through it, but many of the pores are clogged. I tried compressed air which did little. Thanx for any help.

Gary

Try all of the solvents for the materials that have been passed through it. Water / Alcohol / Acetone..... Try the water first to remove as much of the water soluble particles as possible. That way you arent wasting your more expensive solvents trying to get the stuff out that isnt water soluble.

Can anyone tell me how to clean my 100 mesh screen. I have run no metals through it, but many of the pores are clogged. I tried compressed air which did little. Thanx for any help.

Gary

Hi Gary,

I just wash my screens with hot soapy water and a brush. But for mixing I use a 60 mesh screen. I find 100 mesh

is just to fine.

BJV

I often just use a brush (dry) to get rid of the residues (outside). Changing the side you are brushing several times helps.

I wash them from time to time but given one uses separate screens for sulphur, chlorate and AP mixes, I´m not too concerned about whether minimal residue of e.g. a blue KP mix is mixed into a red one.

40-60 mesh seems optimal for mixing to me.

Hot soapy water usually does it for me. I'd avoid alcohol and acetone on them to prevent anything from getting melted or permanently fused to the screen. I've found the Big 3 culprits are parlon, red gum, and strontium carbonate. If soap and water wont get the job done or compressed air, and they don't always, I tend to get a stiff brush out, and typically rub it from the back of the screen. A paint brush with the bristles cut off to maybe 1" or less should do it. As do toothbrushes or fingernail brushes for smaller screens. For really tough stuff you may need to get a wire bristled brush, but be careful with them as it's not hard to tear a screen, especially something as fine as 100 mesh.

I too use 40-60 mesh for most of my composition mixing. I do use my 100 mesh for certain applications, but that's typically reserved for screening individual chemicals.

I agree with all of the above comments, and add:

after everything else, try a stiff bristled brush with water running on the screen and afterward, blow air through the screen with an air gun on a compressor. This always worked with water soluble materials for me. If you use 100 mesh screens very often, it's good practice to back the 100 mesh with 10 mesh screen to give it support and a strong "backbone" if you will...

I avoid soaps which typically have sodium salts in them and can contaminate color compositions or add a hygroscopic element to some compositions used later :huh: :o.

Good luck.

WSM

Edited by WSM

Gary

What exactly have you been running through it?? I have 100 mesh that has been used on all sorts of things and I've only ever cleaned with water and a (nail) brush on occasion.

Personally I have a few 100 mesg screens for different uses- one for charcoal, another for oxidizers and another for metals.

Edited by Bonny

Yes Peret, I have run both red gum and dextrin through it. I washed it with water and it came out nearly perfect after drying.