APC Forum

poor-able fuel

THEONE

Guys i need to make a pourable fuel for the rocket engines... so pourable so i could spill it into the casing for a case bonded fuel... Edited by THEONE

Thats great! Can you post the details?

-dag

I donk know how to make it, i ask if somebody know...

I know that kno3/sorbitol is a very pourable but i can not find it...

Also i have tried the alien r-candy without a result...

Ahhhh, I see. No, there is none that are pourable like you want.

I have no idea...

-dag

Edited by dagabu

Ahhhh, I see. No, there is none that are pourable like you want.

-dag

dagabu look in this video... and notice how pourable the fuel is

Also watch this video at the begins

Edited by THEONE

Its not R-candy, the color is all wrong. I really dont know, I have never cast in place a sugar rocket. Looks cool though, maybe you should email Richard Nakka and ask him.

-dag

I found this

Dan Pollino and "Flexible" Sugar Propellant

Dan Pollino's "flexible" propellant is just a variation of Jimmy's propellant but he mixes it differently. Where Jimmy's formulas are a little fuel rich, Dan's "flexible" sugar propellant is a little oxidizer rich when you take into account the amount of water in Corn syrup. His formula is:

65% Potassium Nitrate

15% Sucrose (Powdered Sugar)

19% Corn Syrup

His mixing method is: First mix thoroughly the potassium nitrate (ground fine) and powdered sugar. Next, heat up the Corn Syrup to 180° F, then stir in the potassium nitrate and powdered sugar. Stir constantly. When the mix is at 210 degrees, it is ready for casting.

It is interesting that Dan's process never heats the propellant or components above 212, the boiling point of water, so little of the water in his mix is driven off. The effect could be similar to leaving some water in a standard formula. I tried that in the process of my caramelization experiment. As would be expected, it burned slower and the specific impulse was less. However, when plugging the numbers from Dans K450 PVC rocket engine into FPRED motor design software and using a straight 65/30 KNO3/sugar fuel the total impulse was nearly identical to Dan's listed value. Fuel behaves differently under operating pressures and there his fuel allows a grain to case bond and be cast in one shot in a 24" long motor, it doesn't crack as a large grain, and it has carried at least one of Dan's rockets supersonic so as with Jimmy's, "the proof is in the pudding."

THEONE,

Richard Nakka is probably the most knowledgeable experimental rocket guru in North America.

He is fanatical about documenting all of his experiments on his web site. There is a huge amount of information there on various rocket fuel compositions.

http://www.nakka-rocketry.net/

If you can't find your answer in one of his articles, shoot him an e-mail. He is good about helping others succeed.

Just for kicks, check out "Sugar Shot to Space"

http://sugarshot.org...ject_teams.html :o

All sugar propellants with the exception of recrystallized types are pourable. Add 3% Propylene glycol, glycerin, or ethylene glycol to increase pour ability. Using NaNO3 as part of, or all of the oxidizer also makes a very fluid melt.

Also, the coarser the oxidizer is, the more fluid the propellant is, so don't go ball milling your oxidizer, keep it fairly coarse, sugar propellant burn rate isn't nearly as dependent on oxidizer particle size as AP is.

Add 3% Propylene glycol, glycerin, or ethylene glycol to increase pour ability.

Where i can find it

Hey theone my friend. My friend EDward (rocketmanbkk) made a very pourable alien r candy

you must have seen this video already

https://www.youtube....h?v=XVKvlX2W_-g

Notice he didn't add water and this is not recrystallized....well, probably take a longer time to harden

Edited by donperry