APC Forum

tape mill

madmandotcom

ok, several of you have said that fixing my mill with duct tape is a bad idea but noone has actualy said why, can somebedy please explain it? Edited by madmandotcom

ok, several of you have said that fixing my mill with duct tape is a bad idea but noone has actualy said why, can somebedy please explain it?

Its just a bit derro you wouldnt hold your car together with tape now would you ?

actualy, i know sevral people who do

if you look at my status, they are saying ts dangerous

You mentioned that the bolts holding the motor together were missing and you taped it back together...

Need I say more?

If it was bolts and nuts that were used, use bolts and nuts to fix it. Tape may cause any number of issues and burns well. I dont think you are that deep in the bush are you?

-dag

exactly what dag said plus duct tape is sticky and will probably collect bp which is dangerous.

we still dont know all the details of exactly what it is you have done but it sounds to me like corners have been cut.

theres no room for that in this hobby.

what when the whole thing falls apart? can you even leave it to mill and not honestly worry about it?

dan.

dag, when the bolts fell out of the motor, they wrecked some of the housing so i cant put them back, with the motor i have put a piece about an inch square over the nut to try and stop it rotating, dan, there is only 1 square inch of tape on the inside of my mill jar, stick, i will try and upload a pic

OH my.... the fun never ends.

And here I was thinking the mounting bracket bolts had fell out, :o

On a similar note, used some duct tape as ummmm additional fuel for a chinese lantern. Am I the only one that didnt know duct tape drips little fire balls as it burns? The good news is they only fall about 15' and burn out

LOL! No, I saw it drip off a muffler this spring at a stop light. The wanna-be in the car had the bass up so far he couldn't hear my horn and was so far reclined that he couldn't see my headlights.

I heard the fire trucks coming just a few minutes later, the kid was OK but the car was engulfed.

-dag

Edited by dagabu

on the inside ? can you stop digging now please we are about to fall in!

no matter how effective it may be it is not something i would do.

if a jobs worth doing its worth doing properly.

dan.

If nothing else than from a safety standpoint, I wouldn't trust a ball mill repair to duct tape. Maybe - MAYBE - as a temporary measure. But I'd definitely wouldn't use it again until a more long-term solution had been exercised.

your all suggesting that heat from the motor is enough to set off what is in the jar, if this was true, then surely they would be very unsafe to use?

your all suggesting that heat from the motor is enough to set off what is in the jar, if this was true, then surely they would be very unsafe to use?

Sigh....:whistle:

Even if one is following good safety procedures and exercising good judgment bad things can still happen. This is a very dangerous hobby. So when one takes shortcuts, does things on the cheap, or just generally has a non serious attitude about what dangers are present, people will mock them for their - let me find the word - EDIT.

In short, if you can't do it correctly and safely, don't do it. If you can't afford something, take the time to save until you can. Pyro is not a race.

And if you are going to share your unsafe practice stories with us don't be surprised when you get called out (for what should be obvious to you).

Everyone here wants you to be safe. But if you're not going to be serious about it you should find a new hobby that won't kill or disfigure you when a screw up occurs.

Even if one is following good safety procedures and exercising good judgment bad things can still happen. This is a very dangerous hobby. So when one takes shortcuts, does things on the cheap, or just generally has a non serious attitude about what dangers are present, people will mock them for their - let me find the word - EDIT.

In short, if you can't do it correctly and safely, don't do it. If you can't afford something, take the time to save until you can. Pyro is not a race.

And if you are going to share your unsafe practice stories with us don't be surprised when you get called out (for what should be obvious to you).

Everyone here wants you to be safe. But if you're not going to be serious about it you should find a new hobby that won't kill or disfigure you when a screw up occurs.

look at this dag another one with the ability to put into words exactly what he means to say :lol: .

well written i couldnt have put it better myself even if i had the time.

seriously though theres no quick fix put your milling to one side until you find a more suitable solution. when you have one you can always catch up, you cant put back what you lose.

dan.