APC Forum

Removing vynil adhesive, need urgent help!

50AE

I have to help some guys finding a mix of chemicals and solvents that dissolve vynil glue.

We have to remove 50 SQUARE METERS of vynil glue from a corrugated surface.

I have access to many organic solvents, including toluene, l-buthanol, o-xylene and others.

The goal is to make such a mixture that makes the vynil glue deteriorate and fall easily without much rubbing. It must not however disturb the paint bellow it.

This couldn't be achieved with any of the tried solvents - terpentine, toluene, buthanol, o-xylene, AMB, methylene chloride. They just dissolve it and leave it sticky. Rubbing is needed. If wouldn't be a problem for a house window, but we are talking about 50 m2 of surface here, and the work has to be done on a ladder. It would take days of hard work.

I've heard rumours about a chemical that looks like soapy water, the glue is sprayed with it and it falls down easily with the rub of a towel. I HAVE to make the identical thing.

Edit: Terpentine and xylene didn't disturb the paint. Ammonia doesn't dissolve the glue.

Edited by 50AE

The product you're looking for is called "Vinyl Off", made by the US company, Crystal Tek. Sounds like it's amazing stuff. The MSDS lists the two active chemicals as Dimethyl Glutarate and Dimethyl Adipate. I'd guess that the adipate soaks into the adhesive and makes it pliable again, and the glutarate bonds to the adhesive molecules and ties them up so they're not sticky anymore. I don't think you're going to be able to use solvents for this process.

EDIT: There's a product available in the US called Goo Gone that works well for removing adhesives as well. It's a mix of naptha and citrus oil (d-limonene).

Edited by FrankRizzo

The product you're looking for is called "Vinyl Off", made by the US company, Crystal Tek. Sounds like it's amazing stuff. The MSDS lists the two active chemicals as Dimethyl Glutarate and Dimethyl Adipate. I'd guess that the adipate soaks into the adhesive and makes it pliable again, and the glutarate bonds to the adhesive molecules and ties them up so they're not sticky anymore. I don't think you're going to be able to use solvents for this process.

EDIT: There's a product available in the US called Goo Gone that works well for removing adhesives as well. It's a mix of naptha and citrus oils.

You beat me to it FrankRizzo, goo gone works well. Vinyl Off also works wonders, any sign printing shop or graphics shop should have a similar product.

• 2 months later...

I have used both Vinyl Off and Rapid Remover at work. Vinyl Off is for removing old vinyl lettering and signs. Rapid Remover is for adhesive residue.

I vastly prefer the Rapid Remover. You do have to neutralize it with something like Rapid Tac, though. It works VERY quickly. Heck, you're not even supposed to leave it on the surface for more than 120 seconds. I have removed old road case labels on which everyone had already given up hope of ever removing. It's citrus based and the gunk liquifies and just globs right up.

It's available in gallon sizes from any sign supply house like Advantage Sign Supply and is $48 per gallon.

www.rapidtac.com is the manufacturer's website.

If you get it from them, buy a bunch of Little Chizzlers and vinyl squeegees. They work very well, but you'd probably be using paint scrapers, anyway.