APC Forum

6"double petal with pistil and rising flowers

fredhappy

I've shot this shell as a finale shell at a show at large party. There was lots of open space, and crowd control present.

Outer flower were 10 mm bright blue to 6 mm buell red stars.

Inner petal was c8 with Ti to b70 , which unfortunately appeared too dim. The inner pistil stars consisted of a beautiful silver wave compo with 70 mesh mg/al instead of the specified 300 mesh. That one is a keeper for me.

Rising flowers were a 2" buell red, to 2.5 " b70 to 2.5 "c8+5% Fe-Ti.

The rising flowers were attached with hemp rope, and worked flawlessly. Only thing that needs some more tweaking is the timing of the rising flowers, those could have been a bit faster. Everything was broken with KP on hulls 7/1, rising flowers included.

I ve included a screenshot which is quite big. I should have converted it first, hope it works.....

post-10434-0-36313700-1310739136_thumb.jpg

post-10434-0-97821700-1310739146_thumb.jpg

picture 6 inch.bmp

Edited by fredhappy

wow that shell was perfect. i really loved the rising shells on the assent. i dont think it could have gotten better then that biggrin2.gif.

I thought the inner petal showed up fine if you were looking for it. The issue I saw was that the inner petal transitions to blue while the outer petal is still blue so it kind of blends in.

I thought the inner petal showed up fine if you were looking for it. The issue I saw was that the inner petal transitions to blue while the outer petal is still blue so it kind of blends in.

Yes, that's true. C8 to b70 inner petal was a bit too fast. C8 burned off too quickly, b70 cores were a bit too small.

I was aiming for a double transition : outer flower blue to red, and inner gold to blue, where the gold to blue transition was suppose to give a clear contrast with the red outer flower.

It's so much fun to build and design these shells, but obvious it is hard to get the colour changing timings right when working with multiple changes ..blush.gif. I'll keep trying though....

Edited by fredhappy

Certanly great effort and diligence, I love it when someone does its work thouroughly! You make one the best shells here mate! I can imagine your star screens are by 0.3-0.5mm difference. :)

I

Certanly great effort and diligence, I love it when someone does its work thouroughly! You make one the best shells here mate! I can imagine your star screens are by 0.3-0.5mm difference. :)

I

Thx AE and Carlos!

My screens are all 1 mm accurate. The thing I do is I screen my stars multiple times. Try screening a batch a couple of times, you'll be surprised how many stars pass which are not the same size. Screening your batches a couple of times really improves the timing. Downside is you have some more rubbish stars then usual.

The 6 mm red cores I used in this shell were screened multiple times, and were very uniform in size.

Also, when I'm rolling and the stars are almost their targeted size, I keep them apart, and when they're almost done I add little increments to roll them up more or less exactly to rounded millimeters. It sure is a lot of work, but you get excellent timed stars this way.