APC Forum

Dumb ass grinds fireworks

getnany

"Durango Fire & Rescue Authority's fire Marshal, Tom Kaufman, speculated that friction from the coffee grinder ignited the mixture."

Ya think?

This kid deserves a darwin award, I mean fireworks in a coffee grinder? People just get dumber and dumber it seems. Hope he's ok.2closedeyes.gif

It says he got the directions off of the internet.

Let me guess…

1. Cut open 20 M80's,

2. Mix contents in blender.:o

3. Obviously he didn't get to step number 3 or 4

Despite his stupidity I still hate hearing about horrific fireworks injuries. No doubt he has a very long and painful recovery ahead of him. Not to mention the likely permanent damage.:(

Sometimes I wonder how can some people be stupid at such a point. 19 years old, such an idiot, damn it! I had such a respect for fireworks when I was 5 years old.

Sometimes I wonder how can some people be stupid at such a point. 19 years old, such an idiot, damn it! I had such a respect for fireworks when I was 5 years old.

I think the modern safety culture has a lot to answer for. With everything remotely dangerous forbidden, youngsters today don't have any opportunity to learn respect for fireworks at an early age. They learn, "If I'm allowed to have it, it must be harmless", in pretty much the same way adults learn "If I can buy this medication over the counter, it must be useless".

I think the modern safety culture has a lot to answer for. With everything remotely dangerous forbidden, youngsters today don't have any opportunity to learn respect for fireworks at an early age. They learn, "If I'm allowed to have it, it must be harmless", in pretty much the same way adults learn "If I can buy this medication over the counter, it must be useless".

Peret,

That's a good analogy.

I don't like the idea of the government protecting me from myself. Eventually overprotection breeds an idiot. I've always allowed my kids to experience a certain amount of risk. They need to develop the ability to self-discern acceptable risks vs dangerous stupidity. I never worry about my kids finding a loaded gun. It's the kid with the over protective parents that never allowed a gun in the house that I worry about.

Fireworks and the internet is a lot like guns and Hollywood, if that's all they've got to go by, it's a guaranteed Darwin award.

So how is this intelligent gentleman still alive after an explosion that rattled houses a 1/4 mile away?

My parents always feel that if I do something stupid, I will never do that thing again. This approach has worked :P .

There was an event a few weeks ago here with some similarities. A fellow was cutting open a 500 gram cake to make 'something bigger'. As he opened the individual tubes, he dumped the contents into a plastic coffee container sitting on his kitchen table.

Finding the tubes tough to open he got out his Dremel.....

He survived, but is still in the hospital.

Kevin

I"ve seen kids hammer Piccolo Pete whistlers to make them explode instead of whistle, that's pretty crazy and it's all over Youtube.

There was an event a few weeks ago here with some similarities. A fellow was cutting open a 500 gram cake to make 'something bigger'. As he opened the individual tubes, he dumped the contents into a plastic coffee container sitting on his kitchen table.

Finding the tubes tough to open he got out his Dremel.....

He survived, but is still in the hospital.

Kevin

Is a regular cutter/x-acto dangerous too? I have used them a couple of times to open up commercial fireworks...

Is a regular cutter/x-acto dangerous too? I have used them a couple of times to open up commercial fireworks...

I use standard utility knifes but dont cut all the way through the tube but stop with a few layers of paper left and peel them off. No sparks at all that way.

-dag

Edited by dagabu