APC Forum

Golden Book of Chemistry Experiments

pyrochris

I dont know if this should go here, but i got this info from a friend!

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/3640/bannedbookkk2.png

The Golden Book of Chemistry Experiments (1960)

Brent, Robert

Reviews from people who purchased this book:

Chemistry at its best., March 10, 2004

Reviewer: M. Petnuch "stratofort" (Richton Park, IL United States)

Hard to find, (and very costly if you do) is the original 1960 edition of this book. It seems to have gained infamy since the 1995 incident near Detroit of child chemist, David Hahn. With the release of a full scale book this month by author Ken Silverstein called 'The Radioactive Boyscout', which details this nuclear incident, the popularity of this early chemistry 'how to do it' book will only grow. The early edition is known for its 50's style simplicity where chemical wastes and pollution were never a concern to Americans, certainly not in the age of 'better living through chemistry'!!! Thoroughly interesting and full of ideas and inspiration, it is the bible for any young chemist-in-training. You will enjoy.

Second Printing Copy for sale:

NY: Golden Press. 1962. H Pictorial Library Binding. Very Good. fep removed, stamps, light wear, small faint thumbings at margins elsepages clean and tight. children's/juvenile science. 2nd printing. How to set up a home laboratory. Over 200 simple experiments. Words used by chemists. What chemistry is, your home laboratory, chemical formulas, metals, more.

Do-It-yourself Science Extremely Scarce.

* Seller Inventory #: sss0349005

* Publisher: Golden Press

* Place: NY

* Date published: 1962

* $2129.40

http://www.ihud.com/file.php?file=files/23...Experiments.pdf

If anyone never read "The Radioactive Boyscout" Here it is! It amazes me how smart this kid was! http://www.dangerouslaboratories.org/radscout.html

Then, when he joined the Navy, he didn't qualify for the Nuclear Power program LOL...

Actually, he may have been smart enough to get in, but he can't get a security clearance to ever work on the 'real thing', and having taken an unknown dose already, no one will ever hire him to work around potential radioactive exposure.

He's more or less an object of ridicule among nuclear power workers in the US Navy.

I've read Radioactive boy scout, I've got a real copy. Interesting. It seems so simple to do all those chemical things when they are actually much harder. The golden book is good also. I downloaded it a while ago and printeed the whole thing. Good quality reading if you ask me. So laid back about danger, e.g. making chloring. That's my type of book.

I can't load the pdf either it said server busy.(not surprising with such a nice book on a pyro forum :lol: )

hmmm NG at 14...doesn't sound familiar at all :ph34r:

I can't load the pdf either it said server busy.(not surprising with such a nice book on a pyro forum :lol: )

ok. click on the link and you should be able to download now. (Under add in middle of page, it says Your Download is Ready, click on that and you should be good)

• 2 months later...

I hate "me, too" posts but that's what this is, sorry. I'd like to get that PDF as well. I missed it the first time around. I see this post is several months old, so NP if it can't be done.

M

I’ve just tried one of the chlorine experiments in the book and also got gassed in the process, all good fun.:P What I did was the burning of steel wool in the chlorine gas, worked well, nice large cloud of iron chloride.

What do you know... I have "The golden book of science" in print, decent condition...