APC Forum

Music Freqency Ignitor

Kenny

Do you think it would be possible to use a color organ that splits the sound of music into three different frequencies and let each frequency launch a different kind of firework?For example the low frequency starts shells.

No. How exactly would you prevent all the shells tuned to say a C# from firing at once? Also, the lift from other shells would be giving frequencies that could trigger others. Do you ban whistling on the firing line? Overall, not a good idea.

It is possible, by making a sequencial circuit, but I would be nervous about it. Your device must be located in the musical device and insulated from the fireworks's noise, because of the second reason Nighthawk mentioned.

It is possible, by making a sequencial circuit, but I would be nervous about it. Your device must be located in the musical device and insulated from the fireworks's noise, because of the second reason Nighthawk mentioned.

Oh,I forgot to mention the device is plugged into an iPod or cd player.It doesn't use a mic.:lol:

No. How exactly would you prevent all the shells tuned to say a C# from firing at once? Also, the lift from other shells would be giving frequencies that could trigger others. Do you ban whistling on the firing line? Overall, not a good idea.

I guess I haven't thought about that but I would probably program a chip to only launch a maximum of two shells.Or maybe go down the line.Lets say you get the frequency of AC.It would check the next available shell in the rows A and C.

Do you think it would be possible to use a color organ that splits the sound of music into three different frequencies and let each frequency launch a different kind of firework?For example the low frequency starts shells.

This is usually done with MIDI triggers programmed to fire certain shells/effects as the music score is played. Detroit's fireworks have been synced to Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon before I believe :lol:

I have worked on several choreographed shows and they all used showsim or an equivalent program. Nothing that listens to the music and bases when the shells are fired from the notes. Every piece is programed individually to fire at a certain time signature. There's nothing out there that I've ever heard of that you just hit 'go' and it fires everything at random to the beat. One major problem with having such a thing is that shells break at different timings. Sure, the shells may leave the guns on the beat but nobody will notice because they are breaking several seconds afterward. The timing of each device needs to be taken into account for a choreographed show, otherwise you may as well just hit the ques as you tap your foot and not use computer programming at all. Edited by NightHawkInLight

, otherwise you may as well just hit the ques as you tap your foot and not use computer programming at all.

Yeah - but I'd have a helluva time doing that! :lol:

This is usually done with MIDI triggers programmed to fire certain shells/effects as the music score is played. Detroit's fireworks have been synced to Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon before I believe :lol:

I'm a big fan of Pink Floyd.How can you eat your pudding if you haven't eaten your meat.:P

I have worked on several choreographed shows and they all used showsim or an equivalent program. Nothing that listens to the music and bases when the shells are fired from the notes. Every piece is programed individually to fire at a certain time signature. There's nothing out there that I've ever heard of that you just hit 'go' and it fires everything at random to the beat. One major problem with having such a thing is that shells break at different timings. Sure, the shells may leave the guns on the beat but nobody will notice because they are breaking several seconds afterward. The timing of each device needs to be taken into account for a choreographed show, otherwise you may as well just hit the ques as you tap your foot and not use computer programming at all.

Oh by the way,I'm a big fan of your youtube videos.Your videos brought me here.:lol:

Yeah - but I'd have a helluva time doing that! :lol:

Guess you right.Are you the youtube guy?

Edited by Kenny

Guess you right.Are you the youtube guy?

I think you mean Nighthawk...perhaps? I used to have some vids up...but I think I removed them all due to three letter Gov't agency interference in my hobby... <_<

I think you mean Nighthawk...perhaps? I used to have some vids up...but I think I removed them all due to three letter Gov't agency interference in my hobby... <_<

Yea I meant Nighthawk

I was actually thinking of doing something like that to initiate a timed show. I'm using a cheap micro-controller that is popular among hobbyists (Arduino) to build a sequencer/firing system. In addition to digital configurable I/O pins that can be used for the cues, it also has Analog inputs. These could read an audio signal from a music player. My idea was that one of the channels from the player (i-pod, etc) could be split, with one end going into an analog input pin on the microcontroller. Then a "fire frequency" is added to the audio file (using a program like audacity) at a specific time before the song starts. I'm sure a simple program could be written to recognize a frequency... and it could even be a frequency above human hearing (or even the response of the speakers) so you don't have to turn the volume down at the start of your show.

Now, you could in theory use something like this to fire individual fireworks, but it's probably not practical or cost efficient. MIDI files are sometimes used to control fireworks but MIDI is a digital format, not analog. The MIDI files used in some firing systems are just a way of communicating the time code and isn't related the actual music file. Not being a programmer or computer engineer, working with an Arduino micro controller has been a lot less intimidating than any other scheme as far as home made firing sytems go - I pretty much just downloaded the program I needed, I didn't really even have to program it!

Edited by flying fish

My idea was that one of the channels from the player (i-pod, etc) could be split, with one end going into an analog input pin on the microcontroller. Then a "fire frequency" is added to the audio file (using a program like audacity) at a specific time before the song starts. I'm sure a simple program could be written to recognize a frequency... and it could even be a frequency above human hearing (or even the response of the speakers) so you don't have to turn the volume down at the start of your show.

If you want to do this, I would suggest a slightly different approach. I suspect most pyro soundtracks would work perfectly well in mono, so get a cable that splits left and right channels, left goes to your amp and out to the audience, right goes to your firing system (and if you like, your headphones). You can mix the timing tones (and notes to yourself) into the right channel and no one will hear them. I would use DTMF for the tones, there will be dozens of examples online of how to decode it (and even chips to do it in hardware if you like).

You are probably right about pyro tracks working fine with mono. Actually, that's what I was planning to do at least to start off being as my current sound system is a single guitar amp.

Hey Fish...nice to see ya. Lemme know if I can help. Electronics USED to be my bag. Still have a few tricks and stuff tho ;{)

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. Are you going to the MPAG shoot? Owosso - Next Saturday!

Gotta rib burn... East side. Took 2nd last year... I'm gonna take home the BIG money this time. I hope... :whistle: