APC Forum

black copper oxide

Zumber

hi to all frends .............

I have got copper carbonate and I wanna make black copper oxide by heating process....pls give me advice how to heat,what metal pan I should use........

is it possible to have it from copper chloride.........?? how....??thanks

hi to all frends .............

I have got copper carbonate and I wanna make black copper oxide by heating process....pls give me advice how to heat,what metal pan I should use........

is it possible to have it from copper chloride.........?? how....??thanks

If you want Copper(ii) chloride just add excess HCl and than evaporate most the liquid off colect and dry the crystals and most the HCl remaining will evaporate off if you want to get rid of it recrystallize

to make CuO mix your copper carbonate with boiling water a glass or teflon pan would be preferred much of it will decompose just from the boiling water , Im not sure how well dry roasting would go I have never tried it let us know how it goes

also being curtious by saying please is completely negated by abbreviating it to pls

Are you sure that boiling water decomposes copper carbonate to the oxide? I was under the impression that it only worked for copper hydroxide. Most values I've seen for the carbonate are in the several hundred degree range.

If you want to make copper oxide from copper chloride, add sodium or potassium hydroxide to a CuCl2 solution, and there will be a blue precipitate. Boil this, and the solution will turn brown to black. Filter, and thoroughly wash several times with water. You have to use potassium if you want to use the final product for color production. If you just need it for a catalyst, the sodium will probably work.

Ive made CuO by taking Sodium carbonate and copper sulfate and mixing them in hot water this quickly forms a greeny blue precipitate that quickly turns black with boiling it performs as commercial CuO once filtered and dried

CuCl2 is soluble in water. So shouldn't it be like

CuCl2 + H2O ----------> CuO + 2 HCl

CuO will precipitate and HCl being volatile will escape on heating(btw is escape the correct word here?). Heating will also decompose any hydroxides formed.

I am just guessing. Please correct me if I am wrong.

CuCl2 is soluble in water. So shouldn't it be like

CuCl2 + H2O ----------> CuO + 2 HCl

CuO will precipitate and HCl being volatile will escape on heating(btw is escape the correct word here?). Heating will also decompose any hydroxides formed.

I am just guessing. Please correct me if I am wrong.

You are wrong

the reverse reaction occurs

Escape would be the correct word, however the reaction doesn't happen. Copper Chloride is stable in boiling water. Converting to the hydroxide or apparently carbonate will however form the oxide in hot water.

If you want Copper(ii) chloride just add excess HCl and than evaporate most the liquid off colect and dry the crystals and most the HCl remaining will evaporate off if you want to get rid of it recrystallize

to make CuO mix your copper carbonate with boiling water a glass or teflon pan would be preferred much of it will decompose just from the boiling water , Im not sure how well dry roasting would go I have never tried it let us know how it goes

also being curtious by saying please is completely negated by abbreviating it to pls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9UfXhHg_Xc

here is the link that uses no boiling water.........

Ive made CuO by taking Sodium carbonate and copper sulfate and mixing them in hot water this quickly forms a greeny blue precipitate that quickly turns black with boiling it performs as commercial CuO once filtered and dried

this method seems me easy than copper carbonate........just tell me do I need equal amount of Copper sulfate and sodium carbonate....?? how much hot water should I use.??after mixing into hot water should I heat it again till it turns black with boiling.....?? thanks.......

Well, you just need to heat it. A furnace works, but you only need the heat of boiling water to do the trick. Water takes no part in the reaction, just a heat source.

Ralph, are you sure that boiling water fully decomposes copper carbonate? I've found several references to it not decomposing until well over 200C. I guess it could be converted to the hydroxide before decomposing. Copper carbonate exists as a complex basic salt. You are sure it's not just the hydroxide component decomposing, right?

Ralph, are you sure that boiling water fully decomposes copper carbonate? I've found several references to it not decomposing until well over 200C. I guess it could be converted to the hydroxide before decomposing. Copper carbonate exists as a complex basic salt. You are sure it's not just the hydroxide component decomposing, right?

I made some cheap copper oxide for testing of some improved flash compositions (it has several characteristics I like like high density) I washed it several times with water leaving it to settle and decanting off the wash water than repeating to ensure it was clean and I never got around to drying it but Ill dry it out and than Ill use it. Just added some HCl to a scoop of the sludge and no effervescence was observed. I think that it is a complete decomposition because it bubbles a fair bit while boiling

After dry heating it looks like this........

post-10498-0-94256100-1310743388_thumb.jpg

Why make it when you can buy it in bulk cheap from a pottery supply house???

Because chemistry is fun :) As far as I'm informed, it's available in most parts of the world one way or another for purchase. I'm not up on prices of course. India is another area I'm not familiar with, so perhaps it isn't so widely available.

Why make it when you can buy it in bulk cheap from a pottery supply house???

It costs ~$30 here(in Aus) before postage even from pottery places

It costs ~$30 here(in Aus) before postage even from pottery places

bummer, $7 lb here

• 1 month later...

bummer, $7 lb here

Everything fun seems to be cheaper in the US.

On topic: copper carbonate is easily turned into CuO by putting it in flat tin cans and putting it in an oven by 300oC for 2-3 hours. Completely safe and simple.

Everything fun seems to be cheaper in the US.

On topic: copper carbonate is easily turned into CuO by putting it in flat tin cans and putting it in an oven by 300oC for 2-3 hours. Completely safe and simple.

Whoa! 300oC?!! That's 572oF! My kitchen oven only goes to 500oF and running it that high for three hours doesn't sound like a good idea. Fortunately, I have a small lab oven and it barely gets that hot, and even then I prefer to run it outdoors on an extension cord (better safe than sorry).

Maybe this process would be better run outdoors on a wood fire or in a charcoal barbeque?:whistle: I'm not saying don't do it; just do it safely. ;)

Oh, and many things are cheaper here, but not all things ;). I think this is changing all too fast and before long it will be tough to get things here, too. :unsure:

WSM B)

WSM - If it's a self-cleaning oven, the self-cleaning cycle runs at temperatures that high or higher for up to 4hrs. Guys have been known to modify the door lock mechanism so they can open the oven when that hot in order to make excellent pizza. I wouldn't worry.