APC Forum

Jamaica Civil Aviation Laws

donperry

Advice or opinion derived from an international web forum may not be legally competent in your jurisdiction. You really need to ask a legal professional in your country. Alternatively is there a fireworks or rocketry club or society?

Good answer author.

No, there are no such clubs whatsoever.

laws are sometimes created to solve a problem, curtail a practice, or , to prevent harm to civilians.

So far there are nothing like rocketry going on in my (small) country.

I know there were talks that firecrackers are illegal but every New years and Christmas there are quite a few nice fireworks shows put on by companies.

Edited by donperry

Maybe it's time for you to take a stand! Find some like minded people and have some detailed chats with firework professionals and your law enforcement and legislators. UK firework law comes under explosives, Health and safety at work (which doesn't cover play!) so also consumer protection. It's also important to understand the limits of the gun and firearm legislation to ensure that fireworks don't enter that area! It's also a responsibility to ensure that fireworks are not used to impinge on the needs of others, especially (but not only) aviation and marine. In the UK it is an offence to fire a firework that may be seen as a marine distress signal so usually within 20miles of the coast displays are to be notified to the coastguard, and in Jamaica 20miles in from the coast doesn't leave a lot!

Maybe, with Jamaica's prior connection to the UK, some of your legislation will follow the UK law that existed at the time, notably all the Acts from the 1800s that STILL underpin the UK's current legislation. However the Jamaican evolution may well be different from the UK evolution of the same Acts.

As ever check carefully that your actions are lawful in your country.

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

So I have a friend who have a friend that works with the Aviation authority. He is saying I can launch the rocket but I MUST notify them of my launch time, location and altitude prior to launch

Seems its not so bad afterall