APC Forum

Ball Mill - Is this good or a joke?

pyropulsion

I hope it is ok to post links, but I am looking for a ball mill so I can start making my own BP.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Unique-Ball-Mill-Chemicals-other-powders-/180690220700?pt=UK_BOI_Medical_Lab_Equipment_Lab_Supplies_ET&hash=item2a11f9f69c#ht_500wt_1156

The one above is a ball that mounts to a drill, but the guy is saying it can cut milling time down by 75%. So that might mean I still have to sit there and hold it for two hours lol.

Not sure if that product is a joke. I will probably keep looking for a better deal. I just don't want to spend much.

I read of a way to make BP by cooking it the same way I used to make RCandy, but then pouring supercooled alcohol on it. The problem is that it sounds so risky and since I didn't read it from a credible source such as this forum, I am extremely hesitant to try that. It just sounds like a bad idea.

I thought milling sounded safer.

There are many commercial ball-mills available. Although it is much cheaper to make one yourself. I have a commercial ballmill from the brand called "Lortone"

Are you talking about the CIA-method of making BP? Because I think that the CIA-method requires way too much work, it's very messy and it's quite a bit more risky than ballmilling.

I would suggest you to get a ballmill - homemade or commercial. If you want to make one yourself, there are plenty of tutorials on YouTube.

Hope it helped!

I'd get or make a ballmill and use the shells for shooting not milling.

You would wear out a good drill in no time that with bizarre contraption. Just a ridiculous idea, you need a motor, not something designed to work for 2-10 seconds at a time...

Alot of people like using ones like this: Ebay Ball Mill

Thumbs up. Good design... That thing should work great. However... Getting a motor shaft of the right speed for that thing is tricky when it comes to gearing.

Just use tape to set a variable speed drill to the speed you want. Simple way to do things. Of course that thing will mill 3x faster than a rubber mill. Anything does...

Ever since that idiotic idea started popping up on youtube, I've been waiting for some guy to try to offer them commercially. Drills as a motor are a dumb idea. They spark, and they're not made for continuous duty, or the kind of torque put on the shaft from a jar. Ball milling can only be made so efficient. It has to do with media, jar size, and RPM. There is nothing special about a drill other than it might go at a better speed than rock tumblers. No one makes any claims about rock tumblers being efficient, just cheap.

Yep, not a good design as others have stated. I've thought about using a similar type of plastic sphere to use as a ball mill when inserted into a cement mixer though. You have trouble using a cylinder shaped mill jar in a cement mixer because it turns cockeyed too often. No such problem with a sphere. Caking issues would likely be lessened as well because there would be no corners that the media wouldn't be able to reach, and nowhere for the comp to easily hold onto.