Jump to content


Photo
- - - - -

Problems with willow-stars.


  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pyr0ph1L

pyr0ph1L

    Smelt the smoke

  • Full Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Denmark

Posted 04 July 2011 - 05:57 AM

Hello guys! This is my very first topic, so please cut me some slack hehe!
I've been making fireworks for about a year now, so I wouldn't consider myself a "total newbie", but I'm not anywhere near being professional either. Let's just say I got quite a bit of experience :) .. Feel free to check my YouTube-account too. Same name on YT as on APC.
Okay so let's get to the point..

Yesterday I made my very first batch of willow-stars, although it wasn't normal willow-stars, because I added some metal to it. I used this composition:

KClO4 - 30
Lampblack - 30
Charcoal (vineyard airfloat) - 25
KNO3 - 10
Dextrin - 5
Red Gum - 2.5
+10% 200Ám MgAl

What I did first was to ballmill the KClO4, Charcoal, KNO3, Dextrin and Red Gum together for 4 hours approximately.
Then I took it out of the ballmill, mixed in the lampblack and granulated the star mix (using 75/25 water and 93% denatured alcohol). After the granules had dryed I gave it an hour in the ballmill to turn it into powder again, in order to really get the oxidizers to soak into the pores of the charcoal.
I then added the MgAl to this powder and wetted it, still using the 75/25 water and alcohol.
It was one of the easiest comps I've ever tried to handroll, because it really turned into this clay-consistency that was very easy to form and was super sturdy!
When I handrolled them I also primed them all in normal BP with dextrin, like I usually do with all my other stars I ever make.
After I had rolled all the composition, I put them in the evening sun for around 2 hours and then I brought them into my room, where they dryed overnight.
When I woke up the first thing I did was to check up on my willows. But what I saw was these cracked stars with yellow/white dots on them.

Attached File  CIMG1087.JPG   2.87MB   40 downloads
Attached File  CIMG1090.JPG   1.48MB   39 downloads

Okay.. So what did I do wrong? Personally I think, that the composition simply did not have enough dextrin to keep together all these fuels? (MgAl, lampblack and charcoal was basically 50% of the total comp!)
But what did you guys think I did wrong?

- Phillip
Pyro runs in my veins

#2 BJV

BJV

    Pyrotechnician

  • Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Oregon USA
  • Interests:Computer
    Pyro: Building and Collecting

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:03 AM

Hi Phillip ,

I had the same problem with Ruby Red Stars.
Check this out.
BJV

A PROUD MEMBER OF - "The Northwest Pyrotechnics Association" http://npaclub.org/

#3 pyr0ph1L

pyr0ph1L

    Smelt the smoke

  • Full Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Denmark

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:08 AM

Hi Phillip ,

I had the same problem with Ruby Red Stars.
Check this out.
BJV


Yeah it looks like we had the same problems hehe. Although I've made quite a few batches of ruby red and they never failed on me.
Pyro runs in my veins




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users