APC Forum

Alternative to Tannerite type mixtures

pyropulsion

I would like something simpler than all the ingredients that are required to make something comparable to a Tannerite type mixture. I would just prefer to not keep antimony trisulfate and ammonium nitrate around.

I am looking for something that is still impact sensitive, so a much too sensitive nitrogen triiodide will not work for me. Not much you can do with it once it is dry, so it would have to dry on the premises.

I am considering potassium chlorate and sulfur, but I am wondering how "stable" it is. Does anyone have experience with the amount of force required to initialize, as well as the energy generated. I have not found any charts on it yet.

My last thought is copper thermite, but I have only used this in small quantities for testing (<30g), and I have not tried to set this off yet by impact.

*Note: all ignitions are done remotely or by a long fuse. The end product will be activated by a firearm at a safe location. This is for personal use on my own property.

thank you all

Edited by pyropulsion

potassium chlorate and sulfur

I don't think you need compositions that sensitive if you're going to shoot it.

Some people even set of simple Ammonal this way.

Maybe simple KNO3 flash like 50/30/20 is an option.

What kind of weapon were you looking to use? You can match power with sensitivity. Lower powered ammunition like a .22 require more sensitive targets than higher powered stuff.

What kind of weapon were you looking to use? You can match power with sensitivity. Lower powered ammunition like a .22 require more sensitive targets than higher powered stuff.

I would be mainly using a .40 cal s&w pistol, but would like to be able to use .22 as well.

Lastly...if even possible and that is why I brought up such sensitive mixtures, I have an airsoft gun that I use for more trigger time. It is modeled after my Sig p229, and it would be nice to have a report, but not necessary. I thought if copper thermite was sensitive enough, perhaps it would do the job.

Thanks for your input. As always safety first. No amount of fun is worth losing a beloved member :-/