APC Forum

Ascorbic acid and chlorate

RamblesTheGoat

I can't make black powder black powder for lift and stuff because I don't have access to good charcoal or sulphur other than garden sulphur so I tried to make a substitute. When I was experimenting with different oxidizer/ fuel mixes, I noticed that potassium chlorate and ascorbic acid burns at just the right speed (I use vitamin c tablets) I know that chlorate does not mix well with acids and I want to know if you think that the mixture would be too sensitive.

P.s. I tried granulating it and it would be great for lift.

I can't make black powder black powder for lift and stuff because I don't have access to good charcoal or sulphur other than garden sulphur so I tried to make a substitute. When I was experimenting with different oxidizer/ fuel mixes, I noticed that potassium chlorate and ascorbic acid burns at just the right speed (I use vitamin c tablets) I know that chlorate does not mix well with acids and I want to know if you think that the mixture would be too sensitive.

Black powder is the backbone the foundation of pyro no blackpowder no pyro, if you cant make good lift learn !

I cant think of a single pyrotechnic star composition that dosnt contain charcoal or sulfur or that requires a prime that contains charcoal or sulfur (it could be done but it isnt)

garden sulfur isnt much of a problem its slightly acidic but for potassium nitrate based compositions this isnt to much of a problem check the ph if its worrying than fix it

everyone has access to good charcoal there are that many trees out there that make fine charcoal your local hobby store sells balsa and is likely to also have scrap I know members that salvage destroyed model airplanes as a source of balsa if not buy it its available

it wouldn't be great for lift its a chlorate comp it would be sensitive to shock and friction no way I would lower a shell into a mortar with that underneath it, ascorbic acid is a low melting point organic compound which increases the sensitivity further. Im not sure if the acidity would cause a problem as its a weak acid but dont make it and you wont need to worry about that

Ok thanks, I acctually do have a dying willow tree on my property and I could just get a paint can at a hardware store. I also have a burn barrel that would be good to start the fire in.

Cool. Concentrate on making great bp. Once you have great bp you'll be surprised at what you can achieve. It really is an eye opener. And, like Ralph said, it's the foundation for pyro.

If you are in the USA, Canada or the UK, you have access to the right chems. Google is your friend. ;)

-dag

Ok thanks, I acctually do have a dying willow tree on my property and I could just get a paint can at a hardware store. I also have a burn barrel that would be good to start the fire in.

When you're a pyro every willow is an over grown or dying willow :)

If you have potassium nitrate and ascorbic acid you can make a viable BP substitute from that. I believe a commercial BP substitute is available at Cabella's that is fundamentally nitrate and ascorbic acid.

Quality black powder making is the goal every aspiring pyrotechnist should attempt to master. Once one is adept at the task, the whole world of the art/craft is open to you.

Clear yourself of impatience and persevere; you will succeed :D.

WSM B)

I think I'll cut a branch or two off of that willow tree today, I tried making BP with charcoal briquettes and It burned VERY slow. I'm going to have to pick up a paint can too.

Unfortunately, most of the convenient charcoal is crappy charcoal. If you can find it though, Cowboy brand lump charcoal makes decent BP. I typically pick out the softer pieces, and save the harder stuff for spark applications. It wont hold a candle to willow though. It's a pain in the butt, but getting good charcoal is critical to getting good BP. You'll be making lift and burst quality powder in no time. Some other people are using white pine, which is available from some hardware stores in the form of lumber.