APC Forum

Gummed kraft tape

cogbarry

Does anyone know a good source for 3/4" kraft tape? Seems like it's a hard size to find.

I have several rolls 60#, 600' long on a 1.25" core. Shoot me a PM. I can cut to any width if anyone is looking for something special.

-dag

Edited by dagabu

Thanks,

I need to use a factory rolls as they will be used in a wasp. I know I can buy by the case at http://www.papertecinc.com/specPaper.cfm. I'll probably end up doing that. 3/4 is the size we were using for 3 inch shells in the wasp and it seems about right for that size shell. I just thought it would be nice to grab a couple rolls quickly, I started hand pasting with it is as well and don't want to go back to the messy/time consuming old way. I've found 1/2 inch and 1 inch at places like pyro direct. 3/4 is a rare animal.

I have several rolls 60#, 600' long on a 1.25" core. Shoot me a PM. I can cut to any width if anyone is looking for something special.

-dag

• 2 weeks later...

-dag

Dag,

Can you detail how you cut the the rolls to width? I've got a case of 3" that's not really very useful, and I'd like to make thinner rolls.

Dag,

Can you detail how you cut the the rolls to width? I've got a case of 3" that's not really very useful, and I'd like to make thinner rolls.

Sure, I use a paper slitting machine a friend in the paper business can take home to "adjust" every once in a while ;) I can rewind the rolls while cutting them to the size I want. I really need to do at least a case all at once to really be worth my time though.

I have also slitted a roll or two when I have needed pipe for black match on my lathe. I made a 3" holder for the full roll of kraft with 8" end plates made from PVC (Thanks OG!) and run a 6" rotary cutter blade (that was a spare at my friends shop) on a home made spindle that I mount to my tool post. I run the lathe at 250 RPM and slowly feed the cutter into the roll until I have reached the core (you can hear and feel the difference) then turn the chuck by hand until penetrating the core.

I can make two cuts on a roll before it gets loose and the cuts suffer. The idea was to make two 1" rolls so the method works well for making 2- 1/2" rolls and a 1" roll or 2- 3/4" rolls and 1- 1/2" roll. The lathe really doesnt make perfect cuts though and can shred the edges if not careful.

-dag

Does anybody know what type of glue usualy use in gummed kraft paper tape?

I have heard from several sources that white dextrin is the glue used on kraft paper tape. I cannot confirm that with any manufacturer though.

LINK

-dag

I have never tried it but if you took a band saw with a fine tooth blade and tightened it up that might work. It wouldn't be as clean a cut as Dag's method but could possibly work. I just cut a ton of tubes with my band saw worked like a blow torch through butter and gave a clean cut. If you have a case I'd say its worth a shot on a roll. I wish I had a metal lathe!!

I have never tried it but if you took a band saw with a fine tooth blade and tightened it up that might work. It wouldn't be as clean a cut as Dag's method but could possibly work. I just cut a ton of tubes with my band saw worked like a blow torch through butter and gave a clean cut. If you have a case I'd say its worth a shot on a roll. I wish I had a metal lathe!!

Don't bother with the band saw, it makes the edge stick together and the tape tears. Been there....

-dag

I've seen some 3/4 gummed tape on eBay (UK).

Cutting with a band saw is idd not a very good idea. Like dagabu stated it tears.

Also been there... :)

I've seen some 3/4 gummed tape on eBay (UK).

I have bought some rolls of gummed tape on eBay some time ago...good product...

If someone have a good supply in EU for 3/4Inch(18mm) gummed tape, please send me PM

I would like to buy a full carton.

There is a person that sells 18mm gummed tape on ebay : home_and_hobby_chems

But he does not answer my shipping questions.

Edited by Fourthsaxon

The cleanest cut tube I've done involves a wood dowel (close fit inside the tube), a straight edged kitchen knife (not serrated) and a smooth cutting board on a solid surface.

1. Draw a straight line around the tube to cut with a pen or pencil. Aligning the edge of a piece of thin card stock tight around the tube will give a straight line to follow.

2. Place the wood dowel inside the tube to prevent crushing the innermost layers of the tube so thet don't de-laminate.

3. Carefully roll the kitchen knife along the line on the tube with even pressure, to score the tube. Don't try to cut through the tube in one go, but keep applying constant pressure as you roll the tube on the cutting board.

4. If you hold the knife steady and use good skills, the tube will part with clean edges, comparable to a clean machine cut.

I know this works; I've done it for several decades.

WSM B)

The cleanest cut tube I've done involves a wood dowel (close fit inside the tube), a straight edged kitchen knife (not serrated) and a smooth cutting board on a solid surface.

1. Draw a straight line around the tube to cut with a pen or pencil. Aligning the edge of a piece of thin card stock tight around the tube will give a straight line to follow.

2. Place the wood dowel inside the tube to prevent crushing the innermost layers of the tube so thet don't de-laminate.

3. Carefully roll the kitchen knife along the line on the tube with even pressure, to score the tube. Don't try to cut through the tube in one go, but keep applying constant pressure as you roll the tube on the cutting board.

4. If you hold the knife steady and use good skills, the tube will part with clean edges, comparable to a clean machine cut.

WSM B)

I agree, for tubes, that is ideal but cutting a 10" x 3" roll of gummed tape, not so much. ;)

-dag

WSM B)

You could cut tube that way, but if you have access to an electric saw and a fine tooth blade you can save yourself lots of time. If you have the right tooth pattern on a band saw or even a chop saw it comes out smooth as a baby's bottom and straight too if you know how to use it. Kraft tape no, It was an idea, but as Dag said it comes out jagged. I wish I could say I have a wasp but I don't. Not sure if Frank Rizzo does if not a paper cutter will do the trick you can get it cheap at Walmart . I purposely ordered 3" so I could cut it and use it for multiple items. If you still hand paste like I do it's not going to take you much time when compared time spent hand pasting. But if you are using a wasp I guess you need to buy a lathe and the cutter dag has or find smaller rolls.

I bought my 3/4 gummed tape from http://www.papertecinc.com/specPaper.cfm.

The first case I bought was delivered in a flimsy half opened box which UPS left on my porch in the rain. Seems it got damp enough to partially activate the dextrin/adhesive as it didn't stick very well. They sent me a new case though and that stuff seems good so far. However, I had read somewhere of someone using 25% wood glue and water to wet it. I used this method on that damaged tape, it worked out and the shells came out rock hard and still had less drying time than with conventional kraft paper and paste. Now I have two cases I can use. I will probably use the good stuff only on my friends wasp though and keep the not so sticky batch around for hand pasting.

However, I had read somewhere of someone using 25% wood glue and water to wet it.

That may have been me, that's what I use. The PVA soaks into the paper and it dries rock hard, much better than just relying on the paste. That would work equally well or better with unpasted paper tape. The only slight drawback is the surface becomes smooth and shiny, so labels won't stick to it it.

Well thanks for posting the info, it's helped me a lot and probably saved me from throwing out a case of tape!

That may have been me, that's what I use. The PVA soaks into the paper and it dries rock hard, much better than just relying on the paste. That would work equally well or better with unpasted paper tape. The only slight drawback is the surface becomes smooth and shiny, so labels won't stick to it it.

Same thing happened to me except it was from dew forming on a high humidity day. There are a number of other adhesives you can try to use. Even at 25% wood glue is expensive as hell. If you have a cheap blender try running dextrin through it or whisk the crap out of it in a bowl. I use mostly use home made dextrin to glue stuff, so far I find it hard to dissolve easily in water. I do have a few pounds of commercial that I use for granulating BP that stuff may mix up easier in water. Not sure how many bad rolls you have but you could also use it as match pipe.