APC Forum

made a little roller

Caveman

I mostly build model rockets but with the fourth coming up I figure I will glue on some sticks and add a little color. So I walked into the gerage wondering if I had the right stuff to build a Star Roller and about two hours later this is what I came up with. Its quite simple and functional. Its able to tilt to any angle desired. It can be pluged into a wall outlet or run off of a 12v battery. In the end it only me cost $6.75 for two orings to drive the bucket. Ive never built one or used one befor so if you see anything that can be inproved on I sure would like to know. I'm thinking I should scale it up to 5 gallon size and add a rheostat to controll the speed.

wow that pic is way too big I'm not sure how to down size it

post-11075-0-02371700-1308374422_thumb.jpg

Edited by Caveman

The only thing i can think of is adding some caster wheels to help support the wieght. You got to remember that you can be using anywhere from 100g's and up. i remember when i rolled my D1 i used 1500g's of comp. and the wieght will take its toll on your setup. i just uploaded a picture of my roller in y gallery and though its a different design from yours you can see where to place some caster wheels on yours to make yours alittle better. but otherwise i like your design and i hope it works out well for you. You will love the star roller it makes a bunch of stars fast and its super easy to use. here's the pic http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/gallery/image/912-cimg6372jpg/ Later LBK

I see what you mean it puts too much stress on the back of the bucket, so I added an extra skatebord wheel and it made it alot stronger. I think Im going to add a lid with a hole cut into it so I can flaten out the angle of the bucket and add more comp.

post-11075-0-51648700-1308445262_thumb.jpg

Edited by Caveman

I rolled one batch of stars through it which ended up being about two hand fulls. In doing this it gave me a good idea of how it needed to be fined tuned. I started with a bigger bucket -2gal- and a lid with a hole cut into it. Then I moved the motor back on the mount making it more ridged. I bought a bigger oring drive belt and replaced the front coaster skatebord wheel with a bigger one. I put a 5 pound weight in the bucket just to see if it could take the weight and it hardly moved. So I think Im happy with it now. As soon as I get some more dextrin in I will post some pics of the finished stars.

post-11075-0-86588300-1308622732_thumb.jpg

post-11075-0-60224800-1308622747_thumb.jpg

I've never been particularly fond of drill motors for anything pyro. They tend to spark, which is a poor idea around dusty compositions. Secondly, I believe you are going to have some undue wear on that set up. The pulley and wheel are different sizes. While they'll be traveling at the same RPM, they're traveling at different linear speeds. IE for each revolution the wheel will travel say 4", but that pulley may only travel 3.5" which will eventually cause wear somewhere. I suspect it wont be an issue as the skateboard wheel should have relatively low friction with the plastic compared to the rubber belt.

Oh yeah electric sparks igniting powder in the air good call on safety. Maby some kind of cover or spark arrestor air filter is needed. I will have to think of a solution. As for the skateboard wheel it still has the bearings in it so its not a drive wheel at all its just there to support the bucket. In fact it spins the opposite way of the drive pully.

What do you think about this? I got an air filter that would fit over the motor cooling holes, then I cleaned it and oiled it really good with a K&N filter cleening kit. I think this should keep out any dust and keep in any sparks or flames. It will make the engine run hotter but it dident run that hot to begin with.

post-11075-0-06641200-1308693544_thumb.jpg

im liking you upgrades. just keep at it. also i find having the bucket tilted is the best way otherwise you would have stars all over your floor you could put a lid on it and cut a smaller hole in it but then adding comp to all the stars will become a pain. i think my roller cost me 15 dollars to make.