APC Forum

Euter's blue

Euter

NaCl specifically.

I do wonder about the acid too though. Yes, it would remove any excess zinc, but you'd just be using up good reagent adding it at the beginning, as noticable by the bubbling. The actual reaction taking place produces no gas. It seems like an awefully lot if you're using it to "activate" the zinc surface to make it react faster. The pH is WELL below 1.

Yes but my copper sulfate was incredibly impure and failed to reacted without a catalyst. My copper sulfate water mix was an opaque green :huh: I decanted several times and tested with PH strips by the 5th wash it was neutral.

I was asking about acid.

My chem teacher said the NaCl was a catalyst.

OH and I fixed my chemical misnamings.

NaCl is not a catalyst in this situation. Neither is acid. Just because it's not bubbling doesn't mean it's not reacting.

Zn + CuSO4 ---> ZnSO4 + Cu

Acid will only eat away the Zn, and NaCl I have no idea what the reasoning behind it is. The only possible explanation I can see for acid would be to remove the oxide coating on the outside of the Zn, and maybe keep it from getting passivated.

The NaCl was used with Al not Zn. It did speed up the reaction a significant amount.

• 2 years later...
hey guys anybody have formula for blue star using nitrates and copper carbonate.

• 4 years later...

i have no chlorate or perchlorate, so i try to make a new blue with pvc powder cuo. i mix pvc and cuo togather and pasting it on a paper with nc lacquer (wood clear lacquer). dry and test open air have a nice blue,you can test it.

Edited by debubisu

• 2 months later...