• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 asilentbob

asilentbob

Firebreather

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • Interests:Professional pyrotechnics, chemistry (too many sub fields), DIY projects, Alternative Energy, Beer brewing, Gaming PCs, etc...

Posted 26 December 2007 - 05:15 PM

The slight bit shouldn't hurt it much, but yes you can rinse with water, distilled water would be preferable.
Take one pound of pure sulfur, two pounds of grapevine or willow charcoal, and six pounds of saltpeter... Marcus Graecus - Liber ignium ad comburendos hostes
(add to) The Pyrotechnic Workshop Reference - 2007 Federal Explosives Laws and Regs (PDF 100pgs)
EmergencyResponceGuidebook2008pdf - ALL MSDS PERIOD - NPG-NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards
Join the PGI - Join the Pyrotechnic Artists of Texas (PAT) - They need your support!
Join the American Chemical Society - Dues (really cheap for undergrads!) - 2011 Member get a member program

#22 crazyboy25

crazyboy25

Pyrotechnician

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 07:56 PM

Well i just synthed some copper and made 10g of euters blue it is very nice. It burns very fast though, I probably shouldn't have ground up my ammonium perchlorate, I should have just used as is (200 micron)

Here is the vid:

I am surprised how easy it was to make copper though, I was using really impure copper sulfate from fungicide. It was so impure infact it was green not blue. I just dissolved as much copper sulfate as possible in about 200 mls water added 10-15 mls 98% sulfuric acid and slowly added zinc. Then I waited about 1 hour until it finished bubbling and added water and decanted several times then I filtered it and put it in the oven until it was dry. It worked like a charm.

I will do the synth again with pics as soon as I get 99% copper sulfate then maybe I will start a synthesis thread in the chemistry section...
I love the smell of napalm in the morning- Robert Duvall

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

#23 psyco_1322

psyco_1322

Firebreather

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:30 PM

So we synthed up some copper powder for a stoichiometry lab in chem class Friday. We used iron powder and it seemed to work rather well. It was in a warn solution of CuSO4 because we heated it to speed up desolving it.

Why did you add the acid Crazyboy? Catalyst?

Can some one write out the equation that shows how NaCl acts as a catalyst with CuSO4 and Al? Im not sure how catalyst work in the equation world. Does this looks right?

CuSO4 + NaCl --> Na2SO4 + CuCl2
CuCl2 + Al --> Cu + AlCl3
Na2SO4 + AlCl3 --> Al2(SO4)3 + NaCl

Its a random stab at what I think should happen. Looks right to me.
Some people think I'm sane, but they're crazy too.

#24 Mumbles

Mumbles

Grandmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,608 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 09:03 PM

Where did you hear it acted as a catalyst?
Just so you guys quit asking, here is the link to the old forum. http://www.xsorbit2....forum/index.cgi

The sky is my canvas, and I have 2,113 pounds of powdered paint in the workshop.

#25 crazyboy25

crazyboy25

Pyrotechnician

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:15 PM

Where did you hear it acted as a catalyst?

Which reference are you talking bout to H2S04 or NaCl as a catalyst?

#26 Mumbles

Mumbles

Grandmaster

• Admin
  • 11,608 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 12:14 AM

NaCl specifically.

I do wonder about the acid too though. Yes, it would remove any excess zinc, but you'd just be using up good reagent adding it at the beginning, as noticable by the bubbling. The actual reaction taking place produces no gas. It seems like an awefully lot if you're using it to "activate" the zinc surface to make it react faster. The pH is WELL below 1.
Just so you guys quit asking, here is the link to the old forum. http://www.xsorbit2....forum/index.cgi

The sky is my canvas, and I have 2,113 pounds of powdered paint in the workshop.

#27 crazyboy25

crazyboy25

Pyrotechnician

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 05:28 PM

Yes but my copper sulfate was incredibly impure and failed to reacted without a catalyst. My copper sulfate water mix was an opaque green :huh: I decanted several times and tested with PH strips by the 5th wash it was neutral.

#28 psyco_1322

psyco_1322

Firebreather

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:55 PM

I was asking about acid.

My chem teacher said the NaCl was a catalyst.

OH and I fixed my chemical misnamings.

#29 Mumbles

Mumbles

Grandmaster

• Admin
  • 11,608 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 02:32 PM

NaCl is not a catalyst in this situation. Neither is acid. Just because it's not bubbling doesn't mean it's not reacting.

Zn + CuSO4 ---> ZnSO4 + Cu

Acid will only eat away the Zn, and NaCl I have no idea what the reasoning behind it is. The only possible explanation I can see for acid would be to remove the oxide coating on the outside of the Zn, and maybe keep it from getting passivated.

#30 psyco_1322

psyco_1322

Firebreather

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 11:52 AM

The NaCl was used with Al not Zn. It did speed up the reaction a significant amount.

#31 swapnilsutar1988

swapnilsutar1988

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Playing with fire,Pyrotechnics.
    Learning new pyro related stuffs, Chemistry, Aerial shell.

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:01 AM

hey guys anybody have formula for blue star using nitrates and copper carbonate.

:)  :)  :)  :)  Never forget the people who asked
you to give up, so that you can
remember to call them to your success
party and make them eat up their own
words..............
:) :) :) :)

#32 debubisu

debubisu

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 12:07 AM

i have no chlorate or perchlorate, so i try to make a new blue with pvc powder cuo. i mix pvc and cuo togather and pasting it on a paper with nc lacquer (wood clear lacquer). dry and test open air have a nice blue,you can test it.

Edited by debubisu, 21 June 2015 - 04:19 AM.

#33 mbfuturex

mbfuturex

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:17 PM

Wouldnt purchased copper powder of a high purity and about -320 mesh be suitable?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users