APC Forum

Salute Inserts

xBangergoosEx

I made a canister shell with salute inserts, and i was wondering if i need to spike the shell?

Depends on how strong your casing already is and what break charge you put in.

A bad break might not distribute your salutes very well.

I think spiking is never wrong.

And make sure your salute hulls survive the break...

Well, did you make a canister or a cylinder shell. There is apparently a difference. A canister, according to some, utilizes machine rolled tubes, while a cylindrical shell uses hand rolled casings. I use them interchangeably personally. Either way, yes you should/need to spike it.

I made a canister shell with salute inserts, and i was wondering if i need to spike the shell?

This is my tutorial for soda can canister shells that I largely took from TR a while ago. I recommend that you spike the shell just like you would a star shell for even distribution of the inserts. If it is going to be a dump shell, then half spiking is OK for these. I dont use booster of any kind in the shells when using paper based inserts for the same reason that Mabuse attends.

LINK

Depends on how strong your casing already is and what break charge you put in.

A bad break might not distribute your salutes very well.

I think spiking is never wrong.

And make sure your salute hulls survive the break...

Well, did you make a canister or a cylinder shell. There is apparently a difference. A canister, according to some, utilizes machine rolled tubes, while a cylindrical shell uses hand rolled casings. I use them interchangeably personally. Either way, yes you should/need to spike it.

Good topic for discussion. Swisher told me last year while handling one of my ill fated "water shells" last year that they were indeed canister shells and not cylinder shells and went on to explain to me the Latin roots that both words were derived from. I love Mike but my eyes rolled up into my head and I think I have a small embolism. ^_^

I still have no idea what they really are but I will call them cans until I am told differently. ;)

-dag

Edited by dagabu

I forgot to mention something earlier. While with star or comet breaks one normally spikes a set number of vertical strands based on shell size, and horizontally spikes to make approximately a square pattern. With inserts, typically one spikes at double width, so you'll have rectangles running top to bottom. The following picture hopefully shows what I am talking about. It's the first break of a drawout shell. The top half of the shell is color, and the bottom half is 4 salute inserts. Note, the shell on the right had one of the strings slip up, but was fixed before pasting and firing.

http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/gallery/image/432-drawout-first-break-spikingjpg/