APC Forum

Saw this today, Do you think it's safe

Vrizla

This isn't nearly as nice a Dag's rocket spindle, I saw it today it looks pretty big, it's made of brass but it also has 2 bolts to pull the spindle out which make be a little nervous. Has anyone ever made a spindle for cored rockets with out a lathe? I'm all for saving money but not if it compromises saftey. By they way, I really hope I still have my bottle jack and blast shield.

It probably doesn't present any additional hazards over commercially available tooling. That method of removing the spindle is well tested in practice, and is actually fairly safe. Nothing is accident-proof of course.

There is a thread about it here actually: http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/5968-new-diy-rocket-tooling-complete/

This isn't nearly as nice a Dag's rocket spindle, I saw it today it looks pretty big, it's made of brass but it also has 2 bolts to pull the spindle out which make be a little nervous. Has anyone ever made a spindle for cored rockets with out a lathe? I'm all for saving money but not if it compromises saftey. By they way, I really hope I still have my bottle jack and blast shield.

Actually, I have been working on a design that used NHIL's idea but it has so far been overly laborious to produce. My first several spindles (still have them) were bolts just like NHIL shows in his video and if I could somehow weasel him into it, I would have him do another video for my prototype of his design.

Read the thread that Mum posted, it has the whole idea all worked out to fruition.

-dag

Has anyone ever made a spindle for cored rockets with out a lathe? I'm all for saving money but not if it compromises saftey.

I made some of my earlier tooling from brass threaded rod.

I filed it to a tapered spindle shape & then finished it off by putting it in the chuck of an electric drill & rubbing abrasive cloth up & down it whilst spinning.

To be honest, it was more difficult to get the holes central in the rammers, which were made from wooden dowel.

To be honest, it was more difficult to get the holes central in the rammers, which were made from wooden dowel.

My dad showed me how to make centered holes in round dowel. First, find the center. Seems stupid to say but its easy to screw up at this point. I use a V gauge center finder. I cost me a buck at Harbor Freight years ago.

Second. use a small bit to make a shallow pilot hole right in the center.

Third (this is just too simple) hold the dowel and the drill in opposite hands and start drilling slowly and allow the dowel to turn only 1/4 turn every 5 seconds or so. Amazingly, the dowel will self-center doing this.

I was a Boy Scout and my dad made a bunch of garbage pickers for us by using 3/4" dowel and a 16 penny nail with the head cut off. The centered nail was really important and they worked so well that 30 years later, I brought mine to a Boy Scout meeting when my boys were going through scouts and we made a couple dozen of them for a road cleanup project.

-dag

Awesome thanks guys going to pick up parts tomorrow. I bought tooling for smaller rockets but the price is a killer. I wish I had a metal lathe, and a milling machine, they come in handy for so many things. I'm selling of most of my automotive equipment with the exception of key items as I don't really enjoy working on cars as much as I used to. Especially anything newer then 95.