APC Forum

Smoke Rings

usapyro

This is a pyrotechnic effect I can't find much information on replicating reliably. Intermittently I have accidentally created smoke rings in many different ways but can't remember anything repetitive...

I was doing a few tests... Putting a couple tablespoons of H3 in the bottom of a Dixie cup and center fusing the bottom didn't work. It did at least create some big circulating clouds but not really a visible ring. Someone in chat mentioned a slower burning powder on top of a fast burning powder. Maybe BP layered on top of H3 in a tube... Will test tomorrow if I get time.

Edit: Was reading around and I found a guide saying to affix a wooden circle around the end of the cannon/mortar and it should help in creating the vortex... Interesting...

Edited by usapyro

The disc with a hole will definitely help create a vortex. But be careful. I'm sure you know that could cause overpressure. Try using a longer straighter tube. Such as a mortar with just a bit of powder in the bottom. It may give the gasses time to slow down and grab the sides of the tube thus creating the ring.

Smoke rings are tricky. I personally have never been able to repetitively make them. Most of the time its by pure accident, like igniting a small pile of unconfined BP or lift powder. be sure to post your results if you find a method that works.

I have had them work in shooting bp in a mortar w/o a shell in the pipe. It seems that ghost mines or fuel mines are the easiest way to make a smoke ring IMO

I agree. On calm day, it's almost guaranteed to make a nice smoke right from a fuel mine.

I agree. On calm day, it's almost guaranteed to make a nice smoke right from a fuel mine.

Hmmm... This makes sense because the fuel is still burning while exiting the barrel providing more lift to the rotating section of air stabilizing the vortex...

So the bottom line is that having something still burning past the end of the barrel... Eg: Fast powder firing out slow powder might work well...

talk to Bill Corbett, his gas mines create giant smoke rings that stay tight for 20+ minutes!!!!!

Creamoras made with a nice even coat of lift and fill will almost always give a good ring. Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQWKWtL1aMM

I may get the rings so consistently just because I use lightweight charcoal rather than the heaver creamora. I also tend to over lift slightly.

Creamoras made with a nice even coat of lift and fill will almost always give a good ring. Here's an example:

I may get the rings so consistently just because I use lightweight charcoal rather than the heaver creamora. I also tend to over lift slightly.

Hmmm... Sweet... Gonna go test out my airfloat pine next...

I had a new idea too guys. You see how most people build perfectly reliable smoke ring guns out of garbage cans with a sheet of plastic on one end and a bungee cord? Why not toss a smoke bomb into a garbage can and and when it's full of smoke toss in a small salute... Little bit more complicated way of doing things... But should work.

Hmmm... Sweet... Gonna go test out my airfloat pine next...

I had a new idea too guys. You see how most people build perfectly reliable smoke ring guns out of garbage cans with a sheet of plastic on one end and a bungee cord? Why not toss a smoke bomb into a garbage can and and when it's full of smoke toss in a small salute... Little bit more complicated way of doing things... But should work.

Its been done, one of the guys from my club has demonstrate it at PGI on occasion. i am not sure if it is a smoke bomb or just the salute though.

-dag

The creamora method definitely makes the nicest looking smoke rings but requires absolutely zero wind.