APC Forum

Sparkling Golf Balls

hillbillyreefer

At the range I shoot at we have a cannon that fires golf balls. After years of trying no one has ever found a ball out of the cannon. So they asked me to come up with tracer golf balls. A couple weeks ago I drilled a hole in a ball, and rammed it with bp with about 10% added charcoal. It worked, but burnt out much too quickly. Today we are going to try again with rammed tiger tail composition. Hopefully it works. If I can smuggle the video camera out of the house I'll video it.

Put some KNO3 and sugar in it.

That ought to leave a nice trail through the air.

I really want to build a nice semi scaled golf ball cannon some day.

Have any pictures of plans of yours?

1 out of 4 not too bad a success rate. The one we did see became visible around a second into the flight, then it burnt all the way down and for several seconds after impact. It had rained about 1/2 hour before so grass fire issues were not there. I need to do more testing of the comps before putting the balls together. We are pretty sure that the violence of the shot keeps the comp from igniting or is blowing it out. When this cannon/mortar fires it's like being behind a 50 bmg with a proper muzzle brake, massive overpressure is like being kicked in the chest.

Bilbobaker the mortar is pretty small. Total length of around 12", OD about 6", ID whatever a golf ball is. At least 2" walls on it. Weight with the base would be around 50+ lbs. I'm not sure if I got any video worth looking at or not. If I did it will be posted tomorrow. Let me know if you want some more exact measurements and I'll get them next week.

1 out of 4 not too bad a success rate. The one we did see became visible around a second into the flight, then it burnt all the way down and for several seconds after impact. It had rained about 1/2 hour before so grass fire issues were not there. I need to do more testing of the comps before putting the balls together. We are pretty sure that the violence of the shot keeps the comp from igniting or is blowing it out. When this cannon/mortar fires it's like being behind a 50 bmg with a proper muzzle brake, massive overpressure is like being kicked in the chest.

Bilbobaker the mortar is pretty small. Total length of around 12", OD about 6", ID whatever a golf ball is. At least 2" walls on it. Weight with the base would be around 50+ lbs. I'm not sure if I got any video worth looking at or not. If I did it will be posted tomorrow. Let me know if you want some more exact measurements and I'll get them next week.

If Im remembering correctly Ive fired golfballs out of 1.5"(could easily have been1.75) mortars I was surprised at just how perfectly they fit obviously these werent sent into orbit like yours though :P

You drilled a hole in a golf ball?!? That was bold. I tried it once and got a face full of liquid latex under extreme pressure.

You drilled a hole in a golf ball?!? That was bold. I tried it once and got a face full of liquid latex under extreme pressure.

"Titleist, the leading maker of liquid-filled balls, says it has always used a nontoxic solution of salt water and corn syrup."

http://www.pyrobin.com/files/golf%20ball%20core.gif

-dag

I never thought of the liquid filled balls. These ones were Pinnacle brand balls, nothing but rubber in the center.

Thanks for the tip on the Titleist balls, hopefully I can remember to avoid them, my shop is a big enough mess without corn syrup on the drill press.

Maybe it was corn syrup. All I can remember is it was white, sticky and smelt strongly of rubber and I'm glad I was wearing glasses. I took another one apart more carefully and found a little rubber bag of liquid, about the size of a grape, wound with what seemed like about five miles of stretched rubber cord.

Every golf ball I've drilled has been filled with stretched latex rubber bands, I live very near to two golf courses and have a bucket of lost balls just waiting for a cannon to liberate them some day.

I'd like to toss them with a nicely made to scale, BP powered mini cannon that I personally turned on a lathe.

I did pack a bag of them up to the tip of Mt, Thielson in Oregon and with a nice wood driver did some insane long range driving.

• 3 weeks later...
i have a bunch of golf balls with titanium coated cores that i won't be using any time soon, i guess i could use some of that titanium in a comp, any suggestions?