APC Forum

Small Rocket Multi Salutes

Blackthumb

Just launched a 5/8 id x 3" rocket with 4 delayed salutes. Worked great.....will post photos tomorrow.

Will make a few with the 4 salutes and a charcoal or zinc star header....love working with the small stuff....also more pleasing to neighbors.

Anyone else have some knowhow for adding multi bursts to small engines?

Is that 8oz tooling? And by the way..... what book is that quote from?

Just launched a 5/8 id x 3" rocket with 4 delayed salutes. Worked great.....will post photos tomorrow.

Will make a few with the 4 salutes and a charcoal or zinc star header....love working with the small stuff....also more pleasing to neighbors.

Anyone else have some knowhow for adding multi bursts to small engines?

5/8" is a respectable size motor for lifting shells. I have had great luck lifting 3" canisters with whistle augmented BP for heavy lifting and have lifted a 38 salute cans full of timed reports in the past. If you keep the overall weight down and use rice hulls for burst, this tutorial is pretty good at showing you a simple canister shell that will carry many embellishments. I carry the cap plugs and Kevin from Pyrodirect carries 1/4" spiral tubes that also work very will in these shells.

TUTORIAL

I am actually working on a "long duration" hammer shell in miniature after I finish the tooling I have in my order book this weekend. The casing will be formed around a 1.5" PVC tube and filled with alternating mouse turd filled spiral tubes and flash filled cap plugs. While I have no idea what it will look like, it will be novel at the least.

Good luck! -dag

If you can ever make it to a PGI event, try to catch Tony Petro's class on multibreak shells for rockets. It's really something else. Lots of epoxy is used in the process.

The jist of it is that he rolls the cans from gummed tape, has thermalite as a delay element, and secures the breaks together with paper rings. I believe he is using dark flash shots to break the canisters. It's rather simple, but probably takes a while to master.

If you can ever make it to a PGI event, try to catch Tony Petro's class on multibreak shells for rockets. It's really something else. Lots of epoxy is used in the process.

The jist of it is that he rolls the cans from gummed tape, has thermalite as a delay element, and secures the breaks together with paper rings. I believe he is using dark flash shots to break the canisters. It's rather simple, but probably takes a while to master.

His video is pretty easy to follow as well. Lost of good stuff.

-dag

My own homemade tooling.....book 75/15/10

Is that 8oz tooling? And by the way..... what book is that quote from?

Fun rocket add-ons

Drill fuse hole/s at an upward angle thru the casing about 1/2" from the top...

Add your fused 'goodies'....here 3/4 salutes....

Top off with more fuel...

Add bulkhead....

Fuse/stick/light and enjoy.

As the fuel burns up, the add ons ignite and as the fuse burns thru the casing, they fall off and ignite.

Works well with Red Rat Chasers and any number of other commercial 'works'

When added to spin stabilized rockets, the centrifugal force 'flings' them away from the rocket....pretty cool

Longer rockets can have many add ons that can drop off as the rocket gains height....

post-10839-0-71016400-1307850234_thumb.jpg

post-10839-0-41500000-1307850246_thumb.jpg

post-10839-0-63402100-1307850257_thumb.jpg

Edited by Blackthumb

My own homemade tooling.....book 75/15/10

Note verse, chapter, page numbers... look familiar? :whistle: :lol:

Note verse, chapter, page numbers... look familiar? :whistle: :lol:

Edited by Blackthumb

DOH!:o

Going to have to try tacking on added effects like that for sure. I have way too much building to do in next 3 weeks but will probably just tack some on and test "live". It will be just as suprising for me as the audience.

Edited by guntoteninfadel

Maybe my shirt logo will be easier to understand....

If they din't get it before, prolly not. But..cool :{)

OK on edit... welcome to the 'club' GTI heh!

Edited by Richtee

Let me know what you 'tie' on and the results...I'll do the same.

DOH!:o

Going to have to try tacking on added effects like that for sure. I have way too much building to do in next 3 weeks but will probably just tack some on and test "live". It will be just as suprising for me as the audience.