APC Forum

Airport security

Megabusa

Hi All,

I posted this question on the UKPS & thought I'd also ask you guys as some of you may use airports frequently :-

Just wondered if anybody has any knowledge on what is being tested for when we go through airport security.

I have been pulled aside in the past (at random) & had my phone & various other items swabbed & tested for explosives. It was all negative I might add :D

I am from the UK & we are flying to America later in the year & the wife is paranoid we are going to get locked up if they detect any traces of pyro chems !

The only oxidisers I use are KNO3 & Perc. I thought they were only testing for stuff found in HE.

Any ideas / experiences ?? Am I going to prison ?

Cheers,

Phil.

AFAIK, they can only detect organic nitrates and/or other organics containg their oxidizing agent in the molecule.

The few I'm familiar with detect only molecules with nitro groups. Essentially they ionize a microscopic portion of you and your clothing, and "sniff" the gas for explosive residues. I haven't a clue how sensitive or selective they are. They could check for NOx production, or perhaps be selective toward a number of compounds. NC is in a number of nail polishes, varnishes, coatings and other items you potentially may have with you. I've heard they're now able to test for organic peroxides, but with the amount of acne cream around, who knows how sensitive that is. I had to fly while working at a firework factory. I had clean clothes obviously, but the same shoes, and was sitting in the same car I drove home every day in which was probably covered in explosive dusts. I never had a problem. I thought the NC may be an issue, but no questions asked. They however didn't swab me, so it's hard to say for sure.

I flew from the UK to NZ last year, and in my Melbourne airport stop, I was swabbed for explosives.

Prior to getting on the flight, I had been my usual self: doing pyro. I had been a bit silly, and I had transported pyro in my bag, and used it as a surface to do pyro. I had succeeded in getting a whole range of pyro compositions, spilled and smeared visibly on the outside of that bag, my jacket and my pants.

They swabbed my pants, jacket and bag.

I had previously known the gist of what Mumbles said, and felt I was relatively safe from the undesired "you have a positive result for explosives" moment. Nevertheless, I felt a twitch of discomfort as they swabbed my bag, visibly sparkling from MgAl and bright flake...

Results were all negative.

So long as you are a pure pyro, with the NC nitro- example possibly being an exception, you can relax.

I was swabbed about a year ago. I worked on a show setup the night before (only handling blackmatch/quickmatch). Obviously I had changed and showered etc... but the result was negative.

• 5 months later...
ignoring the chance that i wont be pulled up or whatever, about how long before going overseas should i back away from the pyro cupboard?

ignoring the chance that i wont be pulled up or whatever, about how long before going overseas should i back away from the pyro cupboard?

January 9, 2011. You're welcome.

No need to even take a bath or wash your clothes, in fact, be sure to wear shoes that have been worn when making pyro. The sniffers don't look for pyro, just explosives. whistle.gif

-dag

Actually I've heard that a little ethylene glycol dinitrate, just a couple of drops on both hands and well rubbed in, completely masks any trace of pyro chemicals that may be hanging around on you. If you want to confuse the dogs, also rub a little on your shoes and underwear.

i am actually going to china next year so could you please answer my question sensibly

my departure date is 18th of march 2012

i am actually going to china next year so could you please answer my question sensibly

my departure date is 18th of march 2012

Take clean clothes and don't touch pyro the morning of. It will be fine.