APC Forum

New Fireworks

psymon

Interesting question, I am not sure it can be answered. Has anyone had any ideas for a totally new firework that has not been made? Either because they do not have the expertise or knowledge of how to make it? Or have not the ideas on composition or components.

Is there something everyday they could be used to make a new firework effect? For example wheels, parachutes or something like that.

Obviously fireworks have been around for many hundreds of years so can we assume they have all been made now?

E.g. Stinger missiles, Basically a rocket without a stick and a hole in the side of it, something simple but a more recent development.

I am always seeing comercial fireworks that do something new...

Does anyone have any ideas that we can all try out and make something new?

I did have an idea for a double ended serpent so it sprays sparks from the two ends of the tube, i never got round to making this mainly because i do not have adequate room to test it.

Go to Pyrotechnics and then go to aerial fountains to view idea.

But then again just cause i have attually said about it doesn't mean this hasn't been tried by someone else who has already had the same idea.

The idea of " new "is a difficult one. A 48" shell of shells of shells with varying breaks( i.e. bow ties to smiley faces) would be " different " albeit amazing but not " new ". A color change from red-blue-green-glitter-green-strobe would be amazing and " new " but it is still just a color changing effect star. Make sense?

I just thought of some super simple/easy stars. First you mix of some kind of KNO3/C/S star composition and wet it like you're going to make blackmatch, and do what you would for black match and let it dry. When it's done, cut it up and use it like flying fish. Think it may work? I'm gonna try it tonight and use it in a rocket t/m.

Any compliments or critism welcomed :)

I just thought of some super simple/easy stars. First you mix of some kind of KNO3/C/S star composition and wet it like you're going to make blackmatch, and do what you would for black match and let it dry. When it's done, cut it up and use it like flying fish. Think it may work? I'm gonna try it tonight and use it in a rocket t/m.

ughh, i dont see how it would make flying fish, flying fish is made specially out of flying fish fuse.

I just thought of some super simple/easy stars. First you mix of some kind of KNO3/C/S star composition and wet it like you're going to make blackmatch, and do what you would for black match and let it dry. When it's done, cut it up and use it like flying fish.  Think it may work? I'm gonna try it tonight and use it in a rocket t/m.

ughh, i dont see how it would make flying fish, flying fish is made specially out of flying fish fuse.

That's what I thought, I just made cut stars instead. It was worth a shot and I'm still going to try the black match thing.

I had an idea a while ago to make erratically moving stars, possibly which explode at the end of their burn. It would simply involve rolling a reasonably fast burning star then rolling it in a coating of something hard that doesn't erode from heat, perhaps plaster would be an option. Then drilling a small hole in the plaster coating and applying a slurry prime. It'd take a bit of work, but you could apply the coating to already rolled stars which saves work, and if they were only for small items such as roman candles it wouldn't take long to make a few.

Just an idea I've had floating around for a while...

I had an idea a while ago to make erratically moving stars, possibly which explode at the end of their burn. It would simply involve rolling a reasonably fast burning star then rolling it in a coating of something hard that doesn't erode from heat, perhaps plaster would be an option. Then drilling a small hole in the plaster coating and applying a slurry prime. It'd take a bit of work, but you could apply the coating to already rolled stars which saves work, and if they were only for small items such as roman candles it wouldn't take long to make a few.

Just an idea I've had floating around for a while...

I believe i have seen these already, They were Scrambling comets to Ti reports, very nice indeed.

Yeah, I know how to make what he describes as an effect. However, how he describes making it, is indeed something I've never heard. I would probably just make serpents to reports. Pretty easy to do. I would use a colored driver composition though. Just using go-getter comps would also work.

The idea of " new "is a difficult one. A 48" shell of shells of shells with varying breaks( i.e. bow ties to smiley faces) would be " different " albeit amazing but not " new ". A color change from red-blue-green-glitter-green-strobe  would be amazing and " new " but it is still just a color changing effect star. Make sense?

Yeah I know what you mean. Just adding another effect or something isn't exactly new, just maybe not seen before or different.

What I am thinking of is something totally new as in a unique device.

For example a bit of wood suspended from a nail above. At the bottom maybe drivers facing opposite sides that burn one after the other for maybe half a second, creating a see saw effect. Not sure if it has been done or what it would look like... Or a rocket that would go up 300 feet then maybe have an engine facing down or sideways or spin like a wheel or something.

Maybe cracking stars that crack and whistle, would these be possible?

Just trying to spark a little creativity in people.

Yeah, I know how to make what he describes as an effect.  However, how he describes making it, is indeed something I've never heard.  I would probably just make serpents to reports.  Pretty easy to do.  I would use a colored driver composition though.  Just using go-getter comps would also work.

I’ve seen the method he described before it was use to make smoke stars it’s from cannon fuses

There’s probably been hundreds of new fire thought of but it’s just been to hard or expensive to make or produce.

psymon, excellent topic.

I remember some time ago I thought about an idea that I never followed up on, but your topic reminded me of it. I was thinking of a daylight shell. My thought was to roll three different color smoke-stars with primer cores. Anyone care to try a red-white-and-blue smoke shell with primer report?

hst45 Thanks, I have heard of daylight rocket smokes before. I may be wrong but they are used as distress smokes. Usually boring orange. I have in the garage about 6 boating distress smokes. They last 15 mins when let off billowing out orange smoke. They retail at about £300 each but these ones are out of date.

By the way if anyone wants to collect one (or six!) for free PM me. I wont post them.

Was thinking about spinning stars. I have seen them before(maybe go-getters). So maybe something new like a rocket that drops out spinning stars on its way up. How about a rocket that drops stars out. Maybe it could emulate something from fighter craft like the anti missile flares that they fire out when heat seaker missiles are sent up.

I guess it could be achieved with a small candle on the side of a rocket...I did make something like this by putting Magnesium ribbon lengths of about 1cm in with the BP. The magnesium ignites and falls out of the bottom of the rocket on the way up - however sometimes it does not ignite and it can get caught in the nozzle. It looked pretty cool on this one rocket I tried it with at about 200 feet a white star dropped out. The others didn't ignite so making this more reliable should be good.

I have tought about making aerial smokebombs, never made one tho.

Instant fountains would be cool, as in loose fast burning composition on lift.

psymon, excellent topic.

I remember some time ago I thought about an idea that I never followed up on, but your topic reminded me of it. I was thinking of a daylight shell. My thought was to roll three different color smoke-stars with primer cores. Anyone care to try a red-white-and-blue smoke shell with primer report?

Black cat makes daytime shells, their pretty good for 5$ a box.

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried a starmine and an arial shell together, it worked out pretty good and it's kinda funny when your crowd sees the cloud of stars burn up then they think it's over, but then the shell explodes in the air and scares the people :D .

But I've had this idea that would be like a bunch of single shot roman candles im an arial shell that would be lit by a peice of fast visco. So when it would go up in the air the time fuse would light the fast visco and shoot the first star out of its own tube. Then a quarter a second later the fast visco would light the second single shot roman candle and blast it out of its tube and it would repeat this pattern for 20 or so stars. But it would be kinda hard to make because you would have to poke a bunch of holes in the shell and in the tubes so you could string fast visco through it. And then you would have to cover each hole with something light enough for a star to break through but strong enough to withstand the lift charge so it wouldn't light all of the stars prematurerly and cause a flowerpot.

Thats a commonly used japanese rising effect. I am pretty sure each shot has it's own time fuse usually. Usually it is done is pairs though. Each tube has a star/comet on either side, and the "burst" I guess you would call it in the middle lit by the fuse.

Yeah they fired a bunch of those off at the final public show at the PGI this year. Very cool effect, almost as cool as the two and three stage Girandolas.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Mark_the_pyro

I don't know exactly how this would be made, but I have had ideas for a mortar shell/rocket hybrid. It would be tube launched. At first there would be a lift charge to send it x feet in the air, then a time fuse (when it reaches peak height from lift charge) would initiate a rocket engine, sending it even further. I don't know what help this would do with anything, but it would certainly look cool.

Or sortof building off of it; is there ever shell inserts you can distribute their weight in a certain way to they can fly in a certain direction? Kind of like a go-getter, except it has a specific direction. For example, a 6 inch shell explodes, sending 5 inserts flying upwards several seconds, each with tails, and breaks on them?

If anyone could make either of these two, I would most certainly be impressed to watch them.

The second can be done. Just use a short delay on the initial break. Say 2 seconds for a 6" shell, then another second and a half on the inserts. It's simple physics. The inserts are subjected to the same upward force as the lift. The vertical momentum will combine with the burst momentum and result in inserts moving in an upward and outward direction.

• 7 months later...

i realize this post has been dead for i while but this idea has been bouncing around in my head for a while. someone may have created this or something similar but this one is mine it probably wouldn't work but here it is:http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w318/crazyboy25/canistershell.jpg

the idea is that it is a multi effect aerial shell with cylindrical/ring like bursts...just an idea

Welcome to the world of multi-break canister shells. Basically how they are constructed.

I've been thinking about putting dragon eggs in crossette comets, one in each four "fragment."

Think of this:

Shells of shell with crossette shells in it, each crossette would then have four dragon eggs in the "fragments". *Booom*.... *boom-boom-boom-boom*... *split-split-split-split*... *crack-crack-crack-crack*

...Nice