APC Forum

Passfire Active Nowadays?

usapyro

Was thinking of grabbing a membership. It's probably more of a professional site and not much applicable to hobbyists except the formulas and guides?

Was thinking of grabbing a membership. It's probably more of a professional site and not much applicable to hobbyists except the formulas and guides?

I disagree, it is a phenomenal resource for the amateur, it just has LOTS of drama. Its a lot like walking into a Cheerleader summer camp... Except they are all middle age guys with beer bellies (yours truly not an exception).

-dag

I tried a guest account, it seems like a great site. The marketplace has great deals and discounts that will probably pay for the membership twice over, if you buy lots of material and in bulk.

That being said, a membership price of more than ~$10 (let alone $50) for access to a forum is nothing but greed IMO.

For example, this forum is awesome, if not a bit small. But it does cost real cash to maintain, so I donated a measly $5 to help keep it running. Imagine every member paying $50 for a new account, and renewing it for $25 every year.

It may be worth whats inside, but that doesn't mean that it's right.

-My2cents

I tried a guest account, it seems like a great site. The marketplace has great deals and discounts that will probably pay for the membership twice over, if you buy lots of material and in bulk.

That being said, a membership price of more than ~$10 (let alone $50) for access to a forum is nothing but greed IMO.

For example, this forum is awesome, if not a bit small. But it does cost real cash to maintain, so I donated a measly $5 to help keep it running. Imagine every member paying $50 for a new account, and renewing it for $25 every year.

-My2cents

keeps the kids out

You used to pay for the articles, and the forum was kind of a bonus. Now it almost seems the other way around. As Algenco said, it keeps the kids (and riffraff) out. That doesn't mean people are any more mature though :) It's a different feel, but I like it. There seems to be a lot more experimentation and of course ready access to many of the greatest minds in the hobby. I wouldn't say its more professional and less suited to hobbyists. Rather, people tend to focus on larger devices, and more complex items. No one is going to be impressed by a 2" TT shell. Though there is a wealth of experience there, and they'll be able to help you with anything.

There is some stuff here that wouldn't fly there, and some stuff there that wouldn't fly here.

-My2cents

Interesting. I donate here (sorry guys, haven't done it this year yet) and maintain a membership at Passfire and we had a discussion about paying more.... I certainly would pay more for the instant access to the knowledge base and will take the crap as well. The Passfire membership is my wife's gift to me, I am grateful and think it is worth more then what Kyle charges.

You used to pay for the articles, and the forum was kind of a bonus. Now it almost seems the other way around. As Algenco said, it keeps the kids (and riffraff) out. That doesn't mean people are any more mature though :) It's a different feel, but I like it. There seems to be a lot more experimentation and of course ready access to many of the greatest minds in the hobby. I wouldn't say its more professional and less suited to hobbyists. Rather, people tend to focus on larger devices, and more complex items. No one is going to be impressed by a 2" TT shell. Though there is a wealth of experience there, and they'll be able to help you with anything.

There is some stuff here that wouldn't fly there, and some stuff there that wouldn't fly here.

I like the tight moderation here and the no-holds-barred moderation there, you know that you are going to get a whooping there if you step out of place there while Mum and Sidewinder will genitally (dang spell check) gently nudge you back into place over here. Though a little Ro-Sham-Bo would get some back in place quicker, huh? ;)

They both have their merits.

-dag

I participate in both and value both. Passfire is an incredible resource (rather a very credible resource!!!). I payed the start fee several years ago and have yet to have to pay the renewal fee. Kyle (Passfire owner and avid amateur pyro) charges by the bulletin count, not the calender year. The forum is worth the cost of membership alone but the articles are seriously top shelf, well written (generally) and fully color illustrated. An excellent resource. You have there a number of serious amateurs who have world class experience who are able and willing to help your efforts to grow and learn (but we also have some here too ;)).

That said, I often enjoy my visits here more. I do my best to be supportive and share what I'm learning (or have learned) if I feel I have something to contribute to the conversation. Of course, sometimes I just pipe up if I want to learn more about the topic being discussed :whistle:

It's all good, Folks! Go to and use both sites; I do :D!

WSM B)

I also use Passfire, and it is worth every penny. I have donated here (was there a call for donations again recently that I missed??). I like this forum better and very rarely post anything on Passfire, I mostly just read and take notes. The articles are very good and I have referenced things from the archives there MANY times.