APC Forum

blue aluminium

dan999ification

to start with its not flake and wont ignite unconfined?, good news surely.

its a new product that someone is advertising through displayfireworks1 as I wrote there I think its just a fairly fine atomised al

its a new product that someone is advertising through displayfireworks1 as I wrote there I think its just a fairly fine atomised al

Blue? Maybe turnings? Does Al 'blue" like steel/ferrous when machined?

Ok, I found some more info on it. Despite the name, it's not actually blue in color. Well, not more than any other atomized aluminum which has kind of bluish-gray tinge to it.

Yes, it is atomized, probably of a rather fine particle size.

It'll only be sold in 100lb drums, and to ATF licencees only.

It will not be sold overseas yet.

I really don't think it's anything special. This info and product has been known for years. Skylighter still sells a 5 micron Al that allegedly out preformed the typical products in a Kosanke test. The test was fairly far from scientific, but the results are results. This stuff is available on ebay as well for much better prices. It will work for flash, but I don't know that I'd call it any safer. I'd like to see static and friction testing personally. No one has flash accidents from dropping a lit candle into their flash powder.

I'd like to see static and friction testing personally.

me too i would think it would be more prone to friction ignition because of the granular shape, and less likely to ignite by small static charges if a hot al spark wont work.

im sure its all in good hands given the quantity's being marketed but "safe" spells complacency to me and "they" will most likely abuse it.

ive made small quantitys of al from billet and it does have a bluey grey look when fine it wont ignite easily but it does, after making a few tiny .1g reports i was told on another forum it was impossible if it wasnt flake.

dan.

Judging from the video, it acts like a regular potassium (per)chlorate/atomized Al mix when tried in loose ignition. I didn't know that atomized Al would ever work in flash comps. :)

Here is the video

Christ... pound and a half or so? OMG. I launched a 3" ball with 100g Black and damn near crapped my pants...

Edited by Richtee

I saw that video too. Really surprised me. Not sure why a "safe until confined" Al for flash would have to be sold with a ATF license while blackhead does not require one. Must be the retail company's policy... I wonder if this stuff would work for small salute inserts, I've been wanting to get into flash, but even if I do it at a club shoot it still scares me. That guy has some major balls mixing 2.5 pounds of flash, even if it already in the container.

That guy has some major balls mixing 2.5 pounds of flash, even if it already in the container.

Yes, yes he does. Would you like to see a video of Mike Rowe mixing 20# of flash for Albert? He is the guy lighting all the salutes for Dave, and that's Dr. John with the explanation and trying to light the heaps of the blue aluminum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7i0ekL21k8

-dag

Yes, yes he does. Would you like to see a video of Mike Rowe mixing 20# of flash for Albert? He is the guy lighting all the salutes for Dave, and that's Dr. John with the explanation and trying to light the heaps of the blue aluminum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7i0ekL21k8

-dag

O wow, I've seen that video before, but I didn't make the connection that that was the same guy in the blue Al video. Crazy amount of flash @_@

I want to see all the footage that was edited out, I heard he got a little rough with Mike ;)

don't bang on the damn screen!!!!!!!!

did you notice Albert likes Sulfur in his vitamin F ?

Edited by Algenco

Its interesting... but you can make similarly "safe" powders by just getting away from the 70/30 ratio, especially considering with other oxidizers.

And again it comes down to how you prefer your flash. High or low pitched? How do you define loud?

I want to see all the footage that was edited out, I heard he got a little rough with Mike ;)

don't bang on the damn screen!!!!!!!!

did you notice Albert likes Sulfur in his vitamin F ?

Take a look on Passfire, Albert talked about the show, it was all a set up, goggles and all. Yes, I add it when i need lower ignition temps.

-dag

It seems to me that theres a small percentage of aluminum in the composition probably as a catalyst. The main fuel imo, is an organic polyol of some sort. Possibly terephthalic acid. Straight aluminum would react with KClO4 once it reached its melting point. Atomized aluminum would not display such an exponential increase in combustion rate simply by being confined.

Just my. 02.

• 2 years later...

I saw that video too. Really surprised me. Not sure why a "safe until confined" Al for flash would have to be sold with a ATF license while blackhead does not require one. Must be the retail company's policy... I wonder if this stuff would work for small salute inserts, I've been wanting to get into flash, but even if I do it at a club shoot it still scares me. That guy has some major balls mixing 2.5 pounds of flash, even if it already in the container.

The reason it is only for licensed people is because this formula would make it a lot easier and safer for people to illegally make salutes. Its just a liability thing.

To be fair, many sellers of blackhead Al by the drum will request an ATF license as well, again more for liability than legal requirement. It's the pound quantity resellers who don't require licenses for either product.

As far as easier or safer, that is up to individual interpretation. In my opinion, it is neither. The information is elsewhere on the forum I am sure, but to answer the other question PersonGuyDude brought up, blue Al does not work well in small salutes.

Speaking of flash, does anyone have any thoughts about the addition of antimony trisulfide or other chemicals to quicken

the burn rate? Also, does it greatly increase the sensitivity of perchlorate mixes? I know it does with chlorate.

Speaking of flash, does anyone have any thoughts about the addition of antimony trisulfide or other chemicals to quicken

the burn rate? Also, does it greatly increase the sensitivity of perchlorate mixes? I know it does with chlorate.

Yes the sensitivity will increase, regardless if Trisulfide or Sulfur. It is not going quicken the flash, flash does not need to be quicker anyways. Mostly, sulfur is added to cheapen up the comp when a lot is being made. It's just pennies on a small hobby scale.

• Like 1

Psyco, have you experienced changes in the tone of report with the addition of antimony sulfide or sulfur?

Edited by pyrokid

I have tried quite a few different formulas that contain sulfur or antimony, including the military artillery simulator formula that contains antimony and is supposed to make a deeper boom. In small inserts with about 2.5 g I personally couldn't tell much difference side by side with 70/30.

Maybe in bigger salutes there is a more noticeable difference? Maybe I'm not a great judge? The one formula I have noticed a difference with is TPA 'safe' flash. And it wasn't a change in tone I noticed. It seemed louder and I could feel a chest thump that I didn't feel with regular flash.

I will admit that I don't have a musical bone in my body so I might not be the best judge of tone.

I think Sulfur and Antimony make a deeper tone, at least in 50-100g reports. With small reports it is hard for me to judge the tone. I have a small bottom shot with 50g of made with blue aluminum, so we will see how that compares too.

I need to get some TPA and try that too. I had a pound a while back that someone sent me and donated it to a club auction since I had no idea what it was used for.

Edited by nater

Antimony is reported to make the tone a bit "sharper" in smaller salutes. I've tried using it, but I couldn't tell much of a difference. I wasn't using any controls at the time to make an accurate comparison though. Antimony overall yields a more dense mixture, so it might be able help in a few applications.