APC Forum

This is sad...

usapyro

I just realized that in the last month I have not really used any Dark Al except for today... And I have been building and testing stuff like crazy this month. (Nearly every single day.)

And what did I use Dark Al for today... I made some ALICE!!! Took a torch to get going, but HOT DAMN... That stuff burns bright!!!

Years ago I use to use Dark AL constantly... Nowadays it just sits and collects dust on a shelf most of the time while Mr Atomized AL has all the fun. :(

I just realized that in the last month I have not really used any Dark Al except for today... And I have been building and testing stuff like crazy this month. (Nearly every single day.)

And what did I use Dark Al for today... I made some ALICE!!! Took a torch to get going, but HOT DAMN... That stuff burns bright!!!

Years ago I use to use Dark AL constantly... Nowadays it just sits and collects dust on a shelf most of the time while Mr Atomized AL has all the fun. :(

Don't feel bad, it took me 10 years to use my first pound of black aluminum (and I really made a lot of things with it). The problem is flash is not near the challenge that all the other pyrotechnic items are. I mean colors, glitter, excellent match, shells, various rockets, comets, et cetera. We seem to quickly move past the salutes and tackle the tougher challenges of pyrotechny (as it should be, I suppose).

WSM B)

Don't feel bad, it took me 10 years to use my first pound of black aluminum (and I really made a lot of things with it). The problem is flash is not near the challenge that all the other pyrotechnic items are. I mean colors, glitter, excellent match, shells, various rockets, comets, et cetera. We seem to quickly move past the salutes and tackle the tougher challenges of pyrotechny (as it should be, I suppose).

WSM B)

It's kind of funny how your supposed to start out with black powder, stars, and rockets, but the reality in my opinion is that most people do salutes before anything else... I actually made black powder before flash though.

My black powder was so bad at lifting I tried using flash lift before I found H3... Flowerpot anybody?

Edited by usapyro

It's kind of funny how your supposed to start out with black powder, stars, and rockets, but the reality in my opinion is that most people do salutes before anything else... I actually made black powder before flash though.

My black powder was so bad at lifting I tried using flash lift before I found H3... Flowerpot anybody?

Universally, I think that kids start with flash in the form of firecrackers. They are amazing little things and open ones eyes to all that could be done. Simplicity is why most go the b00m3rz route, mix two things, light a fuse... BOOM!

Regretfully, as Mum says, its soulless and void or any art.

-dag

I didn't make the first salute until 10 months after I started making shells, etc.

I would be very happy if someone could come up with a method of silent breaks, loud noises don't thrill me

+1 for starting with flash. I bought a pound of it over 10 years ago and I still have a third of a pound left. Its just like USA said. It just sits on my shelf and collects dust. I'm totally over that phase and the real challenges are the most fun. When people find out I make fireworks, the first question they ask is always "how do you make the colors" <---- Thats not easy to explain.. but my favorite thing to tell them is how you usually start the hobby by trying to get things to explode but as you gain experience, the hardest part is getting stuff NOT to explode, and that the best performing fireworks are the ones that are just on the verge of exploding. LOL.

+1 for starting with flash. I bought a pound of it over 10 years ago and I still have a third of a pound left. Its just like USA said. It just sits on my shelf and collects dust. I'm totally over that phase and the real challenges are the most fun. When people find out I make fireworks, the first question they ask is always "how do you make the colors" <---- Thats not easy to explain.. but my favorite thing to tell them is how you usually start the hobby by trying to get things to explode but as you gain experience, the hardest part is getting stuff NOT to explode, and that the best performing fireworks are the ones that are just on the verge of exploding. LOL.

Gotta love those accidental rocket engine salutes...

if al is lonely send him to me, i'll keep him company for ya :lol: until he gathers dust again that is.

its the way it should be, appropriatly used a pound of al will last a long time.

i like algenco,s idea about the silent breaks id like quieter lift please.

dan.

if al is lonely send him to me, i'll keep him company for ya :lol: until he gathers dust again that is.

its the way it should be, appropriatly used a pound of al will last a long time.

i like algenco,s idea about the silent breaks id like quieter lift please.

dan.

quiter lift isnt anywhere near as hard as you think using larger granules of BP and a longer gun with poor confinement on the lift you will notice shells go up much more stealthily

At a teaspoon per pound mixed with Ammonium nitrate it's gonna last me a really long time making reporting targets... my three year old two pound supply of it that is.

I did mix a bit with KNO3 and was a bit scared of the stuff after that,

The coarsely mill (sanded) stuff is far more pretty and useful in comps.

quiter lift isnt anywhere near as hard as you think using larger granules of BP and a longer gun with poor confinement on the lift you will notice shells go up much more stealthily

things ive considered and learned from personal experience but just not enough testing time to master it yet.

ps sorry usapyro for taking it off topic.

dan.

That's fine... Haha... While you guys are talking about quieter lift there is a easier solution. Rockets for lifting shells... :) I'm thinking rockets should be launched with a tube/guide wire setup like Estes rockets to get reliable trajectories... Hmmm...

I didn't make the first salute until 10 months after I started making shells, etc.

I would be very happy if someone could come up with a method of silent breaks, loud noises don't thrill me

Ill tell you how to do silent breaks... Take 20-30 tubes or so. Join them at one point to make a circle. Fill them and cap them all like a star gun and fuse them all in the middle. Cover the entire thing with enough paper for strength, fuse it, and attach lift... Viola!

That would so NOT be worth the effort, however it would work...

Edited by usapyro

Ill tell you how to do silent breaks... Take 20-30 tubes or so. Join them at one point to make a circle. Fill them and cap them all like a star gun and fuse them all in the middle. Cover the entire thing with enough paper for strength, fuse it, and attach lift... Viola!

That would so NOT be worth the effort, however it would work...

Thats a great idea, you could even reuse the tubes from a spend cake since they hardly even get singed when firing.

-dag