APC Forum

Massive Pearl Sparkler

usapyro

Has anyone ever built say a half inch ID sparkler with a pearl glitter? It would be encased in one layer of paper and tied to a stick.

I'm not sure if there is any glitters fast enough to burn up in a mere three to four feet fall. Hmmm...

Edit: Wait a minute, are most sparklers a type of fast glitter? No idea... Never made any.

Edited by usapyro

Has anyone ever built say a half inch ID sparkler with a pearl glitter? It would be encased in one layer of paper and tied to a stick.

I'm not sure if there is any glitters fast enough to burn up in a mere three to four feet fall. Hmmm...

Edit: Wait a minute, are most sparklers a type of fast glitter? No idea... Never made any.

most sparklers (golden sparklers) are a barium nitrate bassed comp often with some Al as fuel ejecting iron sparks

Sorry, I have only dipped sticks for sparklers. As a club, we dipped a few hundred 48" x 3/8" dowels and a few 1" x1"s. They gave me a copy of the comp but I have no idea what i did with it. It was made originally by Bruce Snowden and used Ti for the metal and I just cant remember if there was Barium Nitrate or not.

-dag

Barium Nitrate Ba(NO3)2 - 45%

Iron Filings Fe- 34%

Aluminum Al- 8%

Dextrin (C6H10O5)n - 11%

Boric Acid H3BO3 - 2%

Above is a basic dipped sparkler comp.

It can be modified with Mg/Al or Ti for glitter about any way you want.

Woah... Is this the standard composition in retail sparklers that they give to kids? Barium as low as a gram can kill...

This seminar document may be of use to you. It's on "adult sparklers", which it sounds like you're making. I've always wanted to try them, as they sound pretty awesome. The instructions are mostly for the dipped kind, but he does mention that you can use the funnel and rod method to fill a tube with it.

If you want to use a glitter, I'd pick something that is based on meal (and not use components) for good burn speed, spray, and clean burning.

sunburst sparkler seminar.pdf

Don't ingest it......:rolleyes:

http://www.diamondsparkler.com/

Barium can't be that poisonous I guess... Never heard of kids dying from chewing on sparklers. :/ Probably taste horrible.

Thanks for the help guys! I am going to give the giant sparkler mix a try and try some very fast glitter comp.

This seminar document may be of use to you. It's on "adult sparklers", which it sounds like you're making. I've always wanted to try them, as they sound pretty awesome. The instructions are mostly for the dipped kind, but he does mention that you can use the funnel and rod method to fill a tube with it.

If you want to use a glitter, I'd pick something that is based on meal (and not use components) for good burn speed, spray, and clean burning.

Wow... Thanks mumbles. That is some great information right there... Didn't know you could make glitters with ammonium perchlorate either...

It's not really a true glitter. Titanium has it's own unique effect though.

How about ...

Ammonium Perchlorate 60

Hexamine 30

Steel Brake Turnings 10

3/8 lance tube recommended, funnel and wire, don't ram.

these can be used indoors as they don't make much smoke or fumes, but they make a big spray and burning iron filings are, well, burning.