APC Forum

Looking for the best way to make a horse tail canister shell?

dagabu

I am looking for ideas for making horse tail shells. I have made several falling leaves shells and have made weeping willow shells like this one...

http://pyrotechnics.no-ip.org/files/horsetail.jpg

The question is, will this work as well for 1" stacked comets for a Horse Tail shell?

-dag

Whats the difference in a willow and a horse tail? Isn't a a willow usually a softly broken round shell with some sort of tailed star? VS a horse tail that is a canister shell that has the stars gently ejected from one end?

I put the stars in one end, I also cut most of the vertical strings at that end so it pops easily

I put the stars in one end, I also cut most of the vertical strings at that end so it pops easily

Thats kind of what i was thinking too, just like a falling leaves shell...

-dag

Mine, which were not supposed to be horsetails but turned out that way, were just pulverone and stars mixed together in a cannister. My cannister was not bound very well with either pasted strips or string and the charge just blew out the end. Made a GREAT horsetail effect but I was shooting for that round flower. Back to the building stage.

Break them on the way up

I have a bunch of spiral wound tubes that will be used for 4" waterfall/horsetail cans, simple and quick.

Edited by Algenco

Break them on the way up

I have a bunch of spiral wound tubes that will be used for 4" waterfall/horsetail cans, simple and quick.

Awesome! I have a bunch of 3" ID 6" long spiral tubes from photo paper cores that sound a lot like what you have. I bet they would work well huh?

-dag

I think your diagram will work well for a horsetail. With the lower portion reinforced the shell should blow out the top. As Algenco suggested, breaking it on the way up is a good plan, but with the design as such it shouldn't really matter as the blast will be out one end anyway.

I made a few ball shells more or less the same way (burst in one half and stars in the other) and they worked well.

I think your diagram will work well for a horsetail. With the lower portion reinforced the shell should blow out the top. As Algenco suggested, breaking it on the way up is a good plan, but with the design as such it shouldn't really matter as the blast will be out one end anyway.

I made a few ball shells more or less the same way (burst in one half and stars in the other) and they worked well.

Thats what I did, made them like the drawing and will spike them with 24 verts, half way up and cut all but 4 verts after pasting the shell and will peel them off.

-dag

• 1 year later...
Just a quick idea, couldn't you use a disc with flaps like a mine? The pressure would build op better so theoretically you could use less blackpowder for the burst.

Just a quick idea, couldn't you use a disc with flaps like a mine? The pressure would build op better so theoretically you could use less blackpowder for the burst.

Yes, absolutely, but with the four strings hanging over the top, you have a fully functional shell that will withstand the lift of a rocket.

-dag