APC Forum

accidental crackling powder

Rooster

completebeginner:

I was trying to make a fast burning smoke powder so I mixed (by volume)

1 sulfur

1 kno3

1 sugar

1 kno3 mg flash

So i went outside and tested the powder. It crackled quite loudly with a violent flame and small bubbles. It left no reidue. I havent tested it in a star as i dont have any potassium dicromate for the magnesium but for those of you who do might want to add some dextrin and make a star.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

justanotherpyro:

Simply adding some Mg powder to some BP and forming the mix into stars makes crackling mix and cool stars. Its a cool effect for the beginer because the stars leave decent size sparks, and its otc because the Mg powder is just a fire starter bar ground down with a file.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

EP:

completebeginner - I suggest you read the rules and start capitalizing the start of each sentence and proper nouns.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

totaljackass:

"Simply adding some Mg powder to some BP and forming the mix into stars makes crackling mix and cool stars. Its a cool effect for the beginer because the stars leave decent size sparks, and its otc because the Mg powder is just a fire starter bar ground down with a file."

Yeah , I found this when I decided to balance out my OB with some Mg (added too much KNO3 to the BP ). I liked it and decided to fill a salut with it , wich worked pretty good . But since I got good at making FP I haven't made BP salutes anymore .

EDIT: Yay you actually enforce the using proper grammer rule . Mine probally isn't very good , but atleast I try . It just gets hard reading people's messages when they look like they were written by someone who doesn't even know English . Its ok if they actually don't , but if they do they should atleast try to talk properly . This makes it seem odd that I hate language arts (english class).

++++++++++++++++++++++++

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Probably standard mixture of 1:1 KNO3:Mg. As for mesh, probably ground Mg Bar. Say -100 mesh to be safe.

• 4 years later...

I suggest you read the rules again because that seriously did not warrant the bump of an old thread. Pointing out spelling mistakes from... well, it was posted in 2006... but the actual post you quoted is even before that and presumably from the old forum so it would date back even further… Point is:

“7. Do not bring up old threads unless you have something useful to contribute to the discussion."

Ok, I didn't read all of that so hopefully I won't make the brain cancer I just diagnosed myself with any bigger. Not only is what you wrote a huge incoherent piece of garbage but it is written as though a seven year old wrote it. I don't know what the admins want to do with you, but I'll just say this. Take a look around at other people's posts; take a look how they structure their posts. That's how you write posts, not 'Now, you do that' and however the hell you choose to make a new line for a sentence. Whether you're actually a girl (I have serious doubts) it doesn't mean you have to write like you're some stereotypical cheer leader.

We also don't disassemble shotgun cartridges and use the powder from them. There's a word for people who do that other than that of moron, imbecile, fool etc. it's called kewl. The majority of the members here aren't interested with disassembling commercial items to make pyrotechnic devices from. Perhaps if you enjoy that, you could talk about your methods at another place but I'm pretty sure no one here is interested with pulling shotgun cartridges apart. While your somewhat enthusiastic nature is something good, we like to keep things professional and maintain some sort of legitimacy. Not only are the countless flaws in your post (I'm seriously not going to read it all), giving procedures to people that may be unsafe is a very unwise thing to do. If you were to write your posts out professionally and have a more skilled approach to things, you wouldn't have your posts deleted and you might be taken seriously.

Other than that, if you're still around and actually have a vested interest with pyrotechnics I suggest you do a lot of reading and learn what most of us enthusiasts take approach to tasks. Learn before you begin to teach others. I take it you didn't gather the clue from having your post deleted in that flash powder thread, so the future isn't looking great for you.

I read through her(?) post, and what it seems to be(from what i could understand) is a poor Barium nitrate and magalium based strobe, with DE's in it. kinda far off topic as the original topic was about Mg used in BP to produce a crackleing composition....

Ok, I didn't read all of that so hopefully I won't make the brain cancer I just diagnosed myself with any bigger. Not only is what you wrote a huge incoherent piece of garbage but it is written as though a seven year old wrote it. I don't know what the admins want to do with you, but I'll just say this. Take a look around at other people's posts; take a look how they structure their posts. That's how you write posts, not 'Now, you do that' and however the hell you choose to make a new line for a sentence. Whether you're actually a girl (I have serious doubts) it doesn't mean you have to write like you're some stereotypical cheer leader.

We also don't disassemble shotgun cartridges and use the powder from them. There's a word for people who do that other than that of moron, imbecile, fool etc. it's called kewl. The majority of the members here aren't interested with disassembling commercial items to make pyrotechnic devices from. Perhaps if you enjoy that, you could talk about your methods at another place but I'm pretty sure no one here is interested with pulling shotgun cartridges apart. While your somewhat enthusiastic nature is something good, we like to keep things professional and maintain some sort of legitimacy. Not only are the countless flaws in your post (I'm seriously not going to read it all), giving procedures to people that may be unsafe is a very unwise thing to do. If you were to write your posts out professionally and have a more skilled approach to things, you wouldn't have your posts deleted and you might be taken seriously.

Other than that, if you're still around and actually have a vested interest with pyrotechnics I suggest you do a lot of reading and learn what most of us enthusiasts take approach to tasks. Learn before you begin to teach others. I take it you didn't gather the clue from having your post deleted in that flash powder thread, so the future isn't looking great for you.

Gunzway, what took you so long? I was wondering when you were going to get here! My post got deleted to, for commenting on her wonderfull flash formula containing potassium chlorate and sulfur, and calling her crazy.

Anyka,

Ignore Gunz rant, I think what he is saying about the shotgun shells is that they use double or tipple based powder and are made from nitroglycerin and not Nitrocellulose. I for one am thrilled that there is a female here on the forum and you should not let the emotions of others keep you away.

That said, Gunz has a lot of good things to say but he has a problem with noobs doing stupid stuff.

My Lord! How arrogant can you two guys be? Those of us who are new to the hobby need to learn in a simple way. I thought the tutorial was great. It left nothing to chance. It's guys like you two who drive new people away from any hobby. Sorry, but that's how I feel. And, by the way Twotails, you did not capitalize "kinda" in your reply and it was the start of a new sentence.

bobkeyes

My Lord! How arrogant can you two guys be? Those of us who are new to the hobby need to learn in a simple way. I thought the tutorial was great. It left nothing to chance. It's guys like you two who drive new people away from any hobby. Sorry, but that's how I feel.

bobkeyes

True that Bob, even I have flamed noobs (I'm a noob too) unjustly. What you don't see Bob, is the sheer volume of k3wls and b00m3rz that crawl here looking for info on how to kill themselves. It wears on you after a while and those of us that want to make real fireworks sometimes get pretty raw when the same question about how to make a sparkler bomb comes up in the same sentence as "I have been making fire works for some time now and am well read on the subject, BTW- whats KNO3?"

The best way to approach the whole thing is to introduce ones self, lay out what you have done and how it turned out, then perhaps ask what the next logical step is to take for making well made and safe fireworks. I just dont answer anymore when the first posting is, "How much sulfur do I use in my Mg and Chlorate flash?"

I just watch the news and look for body parts...

True that Bob, even I have flamed noobs (I'm a noob too) unjustly. What you don't see Bob, is the sheer volume of k3wls and b00m3rz that crawl here looking for info on how to kill themselves. It wears on you after a while and those of us that want to make real fireworks sometimes get pretty raw when the same question about how to make a sparkler bomb comes up in the same sentence as "I have been making fire works for some time now and am well read on the subject, BTW- whats KNO3?"

The best way to approach the whole thing is to introduce ones self, lay out what you have done and how it turned out, then perhaps ask what the next logical step is to take for making well made and safe fireworks. I just dont answer anymore when the first posting is, "How much sulfur do I use in my Mg and Chlorate flash?"

I just watch the news and look for body parts...

Don't mean to hijack thread. I just see things from my perspective. I am 66 years old. I want to learn how to make display fireworks of my own. I don't want to make a bomb! I have no practical experience, but have read and read and read. Now I am trying to decide what I need to order. I want to make a 2" or so aerial display with some stars. I know part of what I need, but am still searching for the rest.

Sorry for the comments. I guess I just don't understand. It just seemed arrogant to me. Sorry again!

Now I am trying to decide what I need to order. I want to make a 2" or so aerial display with some stars. I know part of what I need, but am still searching for the rest.

Now THAT is what we like to see! :lol:

Suggestion, plastic ball shells from pyrocreations and rubber stars from (instructions anyway) from Skylighter. When you get to 3" ball shells, give me a ring, I am just transitioning away from plastic and would gladly help you out.

I am 44, a geezer like you ;)

GET OFF MY LAWN!! :lol::lol:

I need to agree with both Gunz and D, its always nice to see a lady into the hobby, and abviously you know your stuff.

However, there are a couple MAJOR errors in your method, mainly putting an acetone mixture into the oven, the acetone can EASILY combust, its known to happen from light bulbs in people workshops, but an oven is a ticking disaster. Also, the dextrin will do very little in the composition, its only activated by water and a certain amount of it at that. Stick to the NC and acetone, and while you're at it buy some real pure NC laquer it works MUCH better. And yes we do frown very much upon disasembling commercial items, but while you're at it, save the lead shot from the shells you can use it to roll stars.

Anyway welcome, sit back and watch others get bitched out and learn from their mistake, the folks here are some very nice people but it needs to work both ways.

Now THAT is what we like to see! :lol:

Suggestion, plastic ball shells from pyrocreations and rubber stars from (instructions anyway) from Skylighter. When you get to 3" ball shells, give me a ring, I am just transitioning away from plastic and would gladly help you out.

I am 44, a geezer like you ;)

GET OFF MY LAWN!! :lol::lol:

Thanks a bunch. I think I have a few more eeeeeeeeee's in my geezer than you.

I think I understand the lift charge and the stars. What I have a question about is the break charge. How much, what kind, etc.

Thanks again.

bobkeyes

Thanks a bunch. I think I have a few more eeeeeeeeee's in my geezer than you.

I think I understand the lift charge and the stars. What I have a question about is the break charge. How much, what kind, etc.

Thanks again.

bobkeyes

For small plastic ball shells, use a flash bag following Euegene Yurek's description on Passfire. A half gram of 70:30 will crack the shell wide open and not dump the stars out. The other option is making a poka shell in which you mix the break with the stars and allow them to break whatever way they want.

Don't mean to hijack thread. I just see things from my perspective. I am 66 years old. I want to learn how to make display fireworks of my own. I don't want to make a bomb! I have no practical experience, but have read and read and read. Now I am trying to decide what I need to order. I want to make a 2" or so aerial display with some stars. I know part of what I need, but am still searching for the rest.

Sorry for the comments. I guess I just don't understand. It just seemed arrogant to me. Sorry again!

See, I appreciate your method of learning. Read, read and read. I continue that to this day and I've still got a lot to learn. I welcome new people with open arms provided they're here for the right reasons and they're willing to learn. My number one objective for all pyrotechnic forums is to keep everyone safe. I can't sit back well when someone posts an unsafe procedure. Someone who is new to the hobby might think "Neato, I'm going to try that" and end up hurting themselves or damaging their property unintentionally. I appreciate anyka's enthusiasm but I think it's better if she read more before giving others instructions. I like to call my posts tough love ;).

About your breaks, we're talking about 2" shells here? I would personally go with paper hemisphere. I've used both plastic and paper in small sizes and I must honestly say I achieve much better breaks with paper. It has other advantages such as being biodegradable. If you have plastic already, it doesn’t matter but when you get your next order I would swap.

I use meal coated ‘rice hulls’ (actually grass seed) and a booster of 1 – 2 gram whistle mix. If you’re going to use pulverone/granulated black powder, you could use a less amount of booster and it would probably break better. I dislike flash due to the annoying flash you get when the shell breaks. It can be distracting and especially for charcoal streamers. I don’t use gummed tape and I paste with kraft paper and homemade wheat paste. I wish my computer didn’t die otherwise I could show you some of my better 2” shells. But here’s a shell I made using my method although it could do with some work:

Probably for the ease of things, you would just stick to pulverone/granulated black powder. It’s up to you for what booster, I would personally add a gram of 70:30 flash rather than half. I prefer a harder break but it's a matter of personal preference. 1 - 2grams whistle mix would be the alternative, my Na Benz isn't exactly the finest so 1gram might be adequate then.

What an appalling reply! You,sir; need to re-read the rules.

Ok, so my message was not robotic, but very explicit . Anything that might be of possible danger I made sure to any reader to take special consideration.

The formula I gave to you is one that has spectacular effects; very highly reactive effects.

Calling me an imbecile, fool, moron, etc. is not only very offensive, but against the rules of this site.

Also, expressing my writing as being compared to a seven year old, or that of a cheerleader is highly condescending; very likely also against the rules.

Taking apart shotgun cartridges and putting the powder into a cheap acetone based finger nail polish is a safe and inexpensive way to create a nitrocellulose + nitroglycerin paste. And, regarding any legality; it is one's own business as to what they wish to do with shotgun cartridges once you purchase them.

It would be amusing as to just what are the "countless flaws" I have in my formula. I am a highly educated woman with a B.A. in psychology, an M.S. in psychology, an M.S. in chemistry and an M.D. in psychiatry. As one with a rather high knowledge in chemistry; your pointing out my flaws has an interest to me. The chemical equation is a very simple one.

Regarding my flash powder thread; the person I sent it to showed a keen interest in that subject.

I emphatically stated that this formula is not only one of tremendous power, but also illegal, and is for reading purposes only. I do not participate in the making of illegal fireworks.

I happen to have, not only an interest in pyrotechnics, but also have novel combinations that create very interesting effects.

You, sir, need not only review the rules of this site, but also make an attempt to write messages that display a sense of employing "good manors."

Anyka Alerekis Voytek

However, there are a couple MAJOR errors in your method, mainly putting an acetone mixture into the oven, the acetone can EASILY combust, its known to happen from light bulbs in people workshops, but an oven is a ticking disaster. Also, the dextrin will do very little in the composition, its only activated by water and a certain amount of it at that. Stick to the NC and acetone, and while you're at it buy some real pure NC laquer it works MUCH better. And yes we do frown very much upon disasembling commercial items, but while you're at it, save the lead shot from the shells you can use it to roll stars.

Have a nice day.

Anyka,

Would you be so kind to post a picture of the finished result from this procedure and a video of the effect? Perhaps with some irrefutable evidence rather than word, your procedure may have more credibility. That would be greatly appreciated :). Thanks.

Why would anyone go this long-winded dangerous procedure? How does the effect differ from other strobe compositions?

Thank you for that Anyka, but I hope you don't mind some constructive criticism. After all, you have mentioned several times you possess a M.S college degree in chemistry; you would know that it is important to find errors in your experiment/procedure and attempt to minimize them. As well as for anyone reading them, we wouldn't want anyone to get confused, would we?

Firstly, you measurements aren't very precise at all. I'll be fair to you since you added it in your first post, but you didn't give any units for the '2.0 magnlium-325 fine' and '2.5 barium/strontium nitrate'. Although this forum is predominately American based, if you're going to use grams you should at least put the '4 0z of acetone' into millimetres. See, naturally I would assume that the other measurements would then be in the imperial system. But if I did that, I wouldn't have the same results as you. Last time I checked (it could have changed), a 'heavy teaspoon' isn't a very accurate way of giving a measurement. Also, opening 3 shotgun cartridges and using this as a measurement is rather imprecise as well. It's just not reflecting your serious knowledge in the field of chemistry, so we have the change that!

Spelling Anyka! As an intelligent person like you would know, just a mistyped letter or an extra one can make a big difference in nomenclature. You talk about Ba(NO3)2 and Sr(NO3)2 and then in your instructions you say 'mix the dry nitrite and maglnium well'. Whoopsy! Everyone knows the nitrite ion is NO2- and the nitrate ion is NO3- :blush:. If you also wish to make your post more professional, listing your 'formula' in a somewhat scientific manner would be beneficial. This means beginning with the apparatus and actual ratios then proceeding into the method labelling each step with numbers. You should do this innately with your prior experience in the field.

You didn't strain any safety hazards at all to be honest. You mentioned the oven after we told you it wasn't safe, but that's about it. You didn't mention that Ba(NO3)2 is toxic (although you did say put on gloves and a mask, I think it should be emphasised for why we would do this!). The first thing you should do when giving a 'how-to guide' is strain all the safety aspects of it. Is it susceptible to friction and impact? What about chemical in capabilities? How 'powerful' is the composition? You wouldn't want anyone to get hurt...

No one is saying just because you're a girl makes you any less capable. I haven't seen any male chauvinism expressed throughout your time posting here and it's quite interesting you would even think of such a thing. While you do believe your procedure is professional and is acceptable, I told you before that we don't care about dismantling shotgun cartridges. There used to be a magical place called 'totse' for that sort of thing. I'm sure they would have been greatly appreciative to have you there; pity it's closed.

From your pal,

Aaron.

Anyka,

Ignore Gunz rant, I think what he is saying about the shotgun shells is that they use double or tipple based powder and are made from nitroglycerin and not Nitrocellulose. I for one am thrilled that there is a female here on the forum and you should not let the emotions of others keep you away.

That said, Gunz has a lot of good things to say but he has a problem with noobs doing stupid stuff.

Anyka,

I am sorry but your nomenclature of items and chemicals sure sounds "noobish" to me. Gunz has laid into me as well and I did deserve it but I got over it. ;)

I call him "Totse" now ;)

Edited by dagabu

That sounds like a very interesting effect, and it actually makes sense, any chance you could take a video? Edited by Ventsi

That sounds like a very interesting effect, and it actually makes sense, any chance you could take a video?

I do not have the means to make a video of this rather simple, yet very nice formula.

But, I will, in "professional means" lay out the formula.

A real shame, I know!