APC Forum

Changed my mind. Now I want a press instead of a new ball mill.

DeepOvertone

I stated in the ball mill thread above that I wanted to get a better ball mill. I decided I should put my money into something that I don't have. A press. I'd love to make all sorts of things that are only possible with a press so I think thats where my next large dollar investment will go. This is the press I'm looking at. Here. I'd like to know if this is enough press for the things I'm interested in doing.

I'd like to be able to press:

Rockets of all types and sizes. I'm mostly concerned with 1LB and 3LB sizes but if I could press up to 6LB that would be nice.

Star plates of all sizes.

Comets up to 4"

BP pucks of whatever size.

I'm aware that I may not be able to press the really huge rockets or giant comets but that is probably ok. Second question is this: Should I buy a press that is capable of more than I'm interested in making. In other words. Is it better to have a 50 ton press that is barely working to press a 1LB rocket. Or to buy a press that is pretty much maxed out when pressing 6LB motors. In other words. Do you need your press to be more capable than your largest item. If so, how much overheard is enough? 10%, 25%?

I'm just not familiar enough with pressing forces and ram sizes to know how much true pressure this press is capable of. Thanks.

That one should be able to have enough capacity for what you want to do with it.

I have a similar press (only a smaller model) which probably came from the same big press factory in China and i can press 4lb engines easily

(I can press 'm so hard that I had to dismember a NEPT-tube yesterday in order to get my spindle back :whistle:)

I think 10tons is about the basic capacity and 50Tons would be probably be waaay overkill.

Yes, I said 50 tons as an obvious overstatement. I figured most hobbyists operate a 10 to 20 ton press for pretty much everything we do. I can see needing more force if for example you were stacking like 3 or 4 star plates at once but one will be the limit for me so I think the 12 ton will be ok. Anybody else have any input?

Anybody else have any input?

Only that a similar press costs half as much at Harbor Freight. Not so sophisticated though. Actually that Greg Smith press looks rather well made.

Edited by Peret

Only that a similar press costs half as much at Harbor Freight. Not so sophisticated though. Actually that Greg Smith press looks rather well made.

The first 4 lb rockets I ever made (and I made a LOT of them this way) was on a similar press with the 12 ton jack removed and stored in a corner while a 2 ton bottle jack replaced it. Those rockets all flew and carried decent payloads, too! With the same press (and 2 ton bottle jack) I made 3" and even 4" comets (and yes, they amazed my friends!). This was in the mid to late `80's and I have made (and sold) many presses over the years. You'd be amazed what you can do with a lot less press than that!

Now if you plan to press bearings in trucks or do some serious broaching, you want as much press as you can get!

It's real easy to over do it. I've burst more than a few casings; even NEPT. Proper sleeving will be helpful, but even then there are limits. Please do be careful. But by all means, have fun :D.

WSM B)

Ok so I should be fine with 12 tons. I'm glad to hear that. Thanks for the input folks.

• 2 weeks later...
The problem I am running into is that all of the small bench top models are on backorder. Did that part of china shut down for spring? I'll probably end up with smallest free standing model but I sure wanted a bench top

The problem I am running into is that all of the small bench top models are on backorder. Did that part of china shut down for spring? I'll probably end up with smallest free standing model but I sure wanted a bench top

If you're referring to the Harbor Freight benchtop press, they have them in my local store - I saw one one Wednesday for $64. I was seriously thinking about buying it. But the height capacity on that model is ridiculously small, something like three inches, and the only way to extend it would be to bolt or weld height extensions on the sides. Otherwise it's way too short even for a comet press - you couldn't get the tool under the ram - and all it's good for is a star plate.

Well dang peret, just raining all over my parade! I thought the height capacity was adjustable, thats what I get for thinking I guess. Oh well the bigger press I am sure will be better overall just have to find a place to put it. May have to build a whole new building for the fireworks stuff!

It is adjustable, between 2 and 3 inches! I was looking at it with my buddy who's a mechanical engineer, discussing whether I could shorten the ram or take one of the guide plates off, and he was pointing out all the problems with that and the only way to do it is with a height extension. It's a real shame because I'm a bit short of floor space and that would look fine on my bench. What we need is some enterprising metal worker to come up with an extension kit to raise it up six inches, but the kit has to be able to withstand something like ten tons to give a bit of safety margin. With my shoddy workshop tools, it's not something I feel confident taking on myself.

Wow 2 to three whole inches. Guess they really are pushing the floor model. Well it will be fine just have to find a place to put it. I have the same floor space issues. Gotta move stuff around alot now to use most stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Update,

Got the 12 ton press and MY is it pretty! No gauge tho so went to hydraulics place and bought one that ranges to 10k psi.... is that right? Anyways could not just sit around and not do anything with the press right? took my pretty, shiny new 1" comet press and thought "oh I wont press it hard" and started turning out beeutiful 1" comets. Filled up a quart container thinking oh my this is working so great. About half way through the second quart container they became increasingly hard to extract. Upon close inspection I had mushroomed the end!

Mom always said I needed more patience.

Anyways, bought a small jack (2000#) got it drilled and will tap when I get back home. LOL I just LOVE stupid tax!

Update,

Got the 12 ton press and MY is it pretty! No gauge tho so went to hydraulics place and bought one that ranges to 10k psi.... is that right? Anyways could not just sit around and not do anything with the press right? took my pretty, shiny new 1" comet press and thought "oh I wont press it hard" and started turning out beeutiful 1" comets. Filled up a quart container thinking oh my this is working so great. About half way through the second quart container they became increasingly hard to extract. Upon close inspection I had mushroomed the end!

Mom always said I needed more patience.

Anyways, bought a small jack (2000#) got it drilled and will tap when I get back home. LOL I just LOVE stupid tax!

LOL! I bet you were pumping them to 10,000lpi!

-dag