APC Forum

bismuth trioxide + silicon delays

dave321

has anyone ever played around with bismuth trioxide and silicon ?

sort of a less toxic red lead siicon version.

had a quick "look see" today out of curiosity, 90/10 80/20 70/30 bismuth to silicon seem the usual mixtures, with 90/10 being the quickest.

suppose could always include copper oxide as well, a bit like in the old lead dioxide/copper oxide/siicon system (33:33:33)

havent got anything in particular in mind, just had a bit of curiosity on low gas delay mixtures.

anyone else familiar with them?

dave

has anyone ever played around with bismuth trioxide and silicon ?

sort of a less toxic red lead siicon version.

had a quick "look see" today out of curiosity, 90/10 80/20 70/30 bismuth to silicon seem the usual mixtures, with 90/10 being the quickest.

suppose could always include copper oxide as well, a bit like in the old lead dioxide/copper oxide/siicon system (33:33:33)

havent got anything in particular in mind, just had a bit of curiosity on low gas delay mixtures.

anyone else familiar with them?

dave

I have worked with variations of the same mixture since 1993. It seems nearly identical to the lead (Pb) variety of compositions, minus the toxicity.

WSM B)

I have worked with variations of the same mixture since 1993. It seems nearly identical to the lead (Pb) variety of compositions, minus the toxicity.

WSM B)

hi,

can you elaborate on what you have tried and what for ?

pm me if preffered

thanks

dave

hi,

can you elaborate on what you have tried and what for ?

pm me if preffered

thanks

dave

I keep the information in the "primes and first fire" section of my research notes. It is hot and sparky enough to ignite "hard to light" items ;), yet low toxicity :D (which may work well for indoor or proximate effects).

WSM B)

Edited by WSM

I keep the information in the "primes and first fire" section of my research notes. It is hot and sparky enough to ignite "hard to light" items ;), yet low toxicity :D (which may work well for indoor or proximate effects).

WSM B)

yes, its easy to ignite and very hot.

did you ever try modifying it with a 3rd component/oxidiser or inert material like kaolin?

dave

Certain mixtures of bismuth trioxide and boron at least have been known to be quite impact sensitive. Red Lead and silicon has been known to ignite from friction specifically, but others sources should be suspected as well. I'd be careful with these mixes, treat them with respect.

Certain mixtures of bismuth trioxide and boron at least have been known to be quite impact sensitive. Red Lead and silicon has been known to ignite from friction specifically, but others sources should be suspected as well. I'd be careful with these mixes, treat them with respect.

Absolutely true. I have long suspected thermitic mixtures (Goldschmit reaction mixtures) of being friction sensitive. Many are the stories of disasterous incidents involving mixtures that included thermite components in them plus rough handling.

A friend acquired two large steel bearings (roughly 2-1/2" in diameter) that were well rusted. I told him about a classroom demonstration where one of the bearings is wrapped with aluminum foil and the two bearings are struck together a reaction occurs. He did it and every time he struck them together a loud pop (a bit louder than toy caps) and a very fine spray of white aluminum sparks flew! They reminded me of the novelty, "Blaster Balls"; but on a whole new level!!!

Definately treat them with respect and be very careful.

WSM B)